Last minute Valentine’s Day inspiration

It’s not easy to remember buying chocolate and condoms between the stress of midterms and a potential strike.

Whether you want to go out on a date or stay home with friends, get inspired with some last minute suggestions for celebrating Valentine’s Day.

Easy baking

Yesterday, the technology blog Mashable released an article displaying 12 Pinterest boards for Valentine’s Day inspiration. Amongst a variety of outlets suggesting recipes for homemade personal treats is The Twinery’s heart-shaped conversation cookies.

alt text

If you don’t have time to make the dough from scratch, conversation cookies can be made by using two ingredients: Pillsbury’s Valentine’s Day cookie dough and classic candy hearts.

Even if you don’t agree with the “let’s kiss” or “love sux” messages, these cookies can be personalized with your own words by jumbling the order of the candy hearts within the cookie. Creating messages from “I love you” paired with “my baby” or “U R special” with “love sux.”

The plaza on the corner of Bridgeport Road W and Weber Street in Waterloo has a Sobey’s for the Pillsbury’s valentine dough day as well as a Bulk Barn for Valentine’s Day candy.

Another two step recipe found on Pinterest is Cookies and Cups’ strawberry fudge. This recipe is made by mixing strawberry icing with a bag of melted white chocolate chips, set in the fridge to harden. It’s not real fudge, but it’s festive.

Homemade cards

If you’re too busy to make Valentine’s Day cards and too broke to buy some, turn to your solution for everything else in life: the Internet.

There are lots of free printable Valentine’s Day card online, ranging from cartoon dictators to hilarious messages from characters of Community.

alt text

These cards can be printed off at home or from The Hub on campus using thick, laminated paper to make them look much more expensive than the 30 cents they’ll actually cost.

Other printable Valentine’s Day ideas also include V-Day bingo cards. Bingo cards can be customizable depending on who you’re celebrating with and what you’re willing to gamble.

Last minute dinner plans

What do you love more than each other? Food.

Whether you’re eating locally or out of town, use Foursquare to find a well-reviewed restaurant (since it’s likely some of your favourite places will be booked) to research the atmosphere, recommended specials and the price range in advance.

If you’re looking for more casual evening, reference wherethefuckshouldigofordrinks.com. Answer “Where the fuck are you?” on the website and click “Find me a fucking place to drink.” The website will display the suggested location on a map. If you’d like to learn more about that location, this website provides a link to the bar’s website. If you’d like to see more options, click “No, that place looks shit” and more recommendations will appear.