KW in Brief: Jan. 6, 2010

Jewelry store robbed in mall

A third jewelry store has been robbed in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. Emergency services received a call at about 10:05 am on Jan. 5 reporting the robbery at Conestoga Mall.

Police said four suspects wearing dark clothing entered the mall and smashed several display cases at Raffi jewelry store, taking an undisclosed amount of jewelry and then fled on foot.

John Percy, with the Waterloo Fire department, confirms pepper spray was used in the course of the incident. The single clerk working at the jewelry store at the time was subjected to the spray, but refused treatment from EMS.

The mall was closed temporarily while the Waterloo fire department cleared the air of the pepper spray, which Percy said could cause breathing and other issues in patrons.

A second mall tenant received a minor head injury from a falling sign knocked over as the suspects fled, however there were no other injuries reported.

Police are not able to say whether this incident is connected to two more jewelry store robberies in the area. Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener was robbed twice in early December, with jewelry being taken from People’s Jewelers and Ben Moss.

No suspects have been arrested at this time and the investigation is ongoing.

–By Elizabeth Bate

Northdale committee structure approved

On Dec. 13, Waterloo city council approved one of the first steps in improving Northdale, the area north of University Ave. East, which is predominantly inhabited by students.

The motion concerned staff recommendations for a special project committee to oversee studies and plans that for the area. The membership of the committee will consist of key stakeholders in Northdale, including a representative from Wilfrid Laurier Students’ Union, the university’s administration, at least one student that resides in Northdale, along with a non-student permanent resident.

The deadline for applicants to sit on the committee is Jan. 21 and the membership will be appointed shortly after.

–Compiled by Linda Givetash