In review: Oct. 15, 2009

The Invention of Lying
Directed by: Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson
Starring: Ricky Gervais
Released: Oct. 2, 2009
2/4

Living in a world where every single person’s thoughts are exposed seems tempting, right? Well, if I lived in such a world I’d be forced to say that The Invention of Lying fails to produce the expected success.

Ricky Gervais stars as an offbeat, middle-aged man who cannot seem to catch a break where lying has yet to be invented – until he discovers it. Although it has its funny moments, knowing every character’s thoughts becomes predictable.

If you’re looking for a movie that doesn’t require thinking but can produce a laugh, check it out, but if you’re looking for something more enthralling, I’d steer clear.

–Meaghan Walford

Coco before Chanel
Directed by: Anne Fontaine
Starring: Audrey Tautou
Released: Sept. 25, 2009
3.5/4

The Chanel style embodies more than just tweed jackets, strings of pearls and little black dresses. The film Coco before Chanel chronicles how the definition of iconic Chanel style came to be.

The film is a depiction of the designer’s life before she was as an icon and how her early experiences as an orphan, bar singer and mistress of Parisian elite inspired her to create her designs and a life of empowerment.

While the description sounds like a history lesson with nice shoes, it is a movie that lets you take a walk in the shoes of Coco herself, giving the Chanel label a face.

–Megan Hawkins

Vancouver
Matthew Good
Universal Music Group
Released: Oct. 6, 2009
3/4

“Baby ain’t it good to be back home?” Canadian alt-rocker Matthew Good proclaims triumphantly on opening track “Last Parade.”

Anyone familiar with Good’s history knows this is a deeply personal statement for him. It is evident that Good’s return has lifted his spirits.

While the tracks on this new album are much less bleak than those on Hospital Music, none of the tracks really bring Good to a new place musically and the album leaves the listener desiring a little more variety.

–David Shore