Former dean of arts kicks it old school

While the band No Fixed Address probably hasn’t made it onto your iTunes, it’s certainly one that hits close to home at Laurier.

Founded in part by former dean of arts, and current senior advisor of multi-campus initiatives at Laurier, David Docherty, No Fixed Address is comprised of five men who quite simply, “love an excuse to get together, have a couple of beers and play,” Docherty told The Cord.

Calling the band’s music “swamp rock”, Docherty explained that the group derives its influences from classic rock artists like Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones, playing purely covers with an added spin.

“It’s songs written by guys, who if they have hair, it’s gray,” laughed Docherty. When asked where the band gets its inspiration to play, he said, “Maker’s Mark”, which he explains is a brand of bourbon.

Docherty, who plays guitar, bongos and harmonica in the band, describes his band mates with praise, stating, “I find it odd that you’re interviewing the least talented member of the band.”

No Fixed Address’ other members include two individuals connected to the Laurier community: director of the global governance PhD program Gerry Boychuk on guitar, harmonica and accordion and the partner of Helen Paret – manager of the graduate studies program – Pat Paret on guitar and bass.

The band also includes John Bilton on keyboard and Paul Kalfliech on a variety of string instruments including guitar.

No Fixed Address was formed after the group of friends got some instruments together, began to play at a party and realized that they really enjoyed doing it. The rock quintet has had a lengthy history at Laurier that began five years ago when they played at what was then called the grad house, before it was torn down and moved to its current location as the grad pub.

Docherty explains that while the band has not played together for awhile – due to family engagements and traveling – they plan to play at the Grad Pub in early 2010.

“A lot of us have been traveling for work,” explained Docherty.

“I don’t want students to think we have artistic differences or anything,” he joked.

When asked if students treat him differently when they find out he plays in a band, Docherty explained that it hasn’t really had an effect so far.

“People have images of profs being stuffy. Maybe it helps in that way,” he said.

Docherty went on to recount one of his favourite memories with No Fixed Address.

It took place when the band played in front of the school on Bricker Avenue during the Contract Academic Staff (CAS) strike in the spring of 2008.

“There were complaints of noise,” he noted.

“We left, thinking it might be the first time in history students complained of teachers making too much noise.”