Emmy picks too safe this year

I’m not quite sure that any single TV watcher out there can attest to this year’s Emmy nominations being “correct”, but I count myself among the many that can at least exclaim that this year’s contenders seem to be rather “safe”.

If you take a look at the list of nominees that was released this month, you find more than your fair share of expected names.

There’s Tony Shaloub with the likes of Steve Carrell and Alec Baldwin.

Neil Patrick Harris shows up a time or two, and of course it wouldn’t be the Emmy’s without Tina Fey or Hugh Laurie.

And I’m not trying to say that any of these performers doesn’t deserve their recognition, but it’s just kind of tiresome to see the same old expected faces come Emmy time, isn’t it?

Of course, that’s the difficult thing about the small screen.

Only a few shows make it on the air every year, and we’re subject to the good ones season after season resulting in our favourite recurring performers being honored time after time.

So, inevitably, the Primetime Emmy Awards try to mix it up every year, peppering in the newbies with the seasoned vets.

This year however, when you look at the list of freshmen, none of the names really jump out as overly deserving.

There are indeed a few in the first timers field who, by all means, needed to be nominated.

Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss from AMC’s “Mad Men” proved to be almost as amazing as Jon Hamm this past season.

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a better villain on television than Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester, proving that she most certainly earned her spot for “Glee”.

And I can’t speak for anyone else, but Jim Parsons from “The Big Bang Theory” is currently one of the funniest leading men on any network these days.

But not all of the newcomers seemed to have earned their place amongst the best. I for one question the appearance of Chris Colfer from “Glee” in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category.

I mean, Colfer was capable on the show, but he hardly demonstrated the acting chops exhibited by some of his co-stars or other supporting actors who could have easily filled his nomination slot.

Why didn’t “30 Rock” staple Tracy Morgan get recognition again this year? He was actually a lot funnier than both Fey and Baldwin (who were indeed both recognized).

Or why was their no love for the always-hilarious Nick Offerman from “Parks and Recreation”? I’m not even a fan of that show and can’t help but love the guy.

The most notorious omission from the category though is most certainly “Modern Family’s” Ed O’Neil.

Mr. Al Bundy himself was the lone outcast from the show, having to sit idly by, watching the other 5 main players receive nods.

I for one haven’t seen every episode of “Modern Family”, but I’ve seen enough to know that O’Neil is the funniest part of the show.

The nominating committee showed “Modern Family” more than enough love this year, but this omission really puts a damper on the rest of those who were recognized in his place.

On the Drama side of things, I can’t help but wonder whether or not “Lost” is getting the sympathy treatment simply because it’s finally all over.

Even if that’s the case, it seems it will be hard to beat “Mad Men” or “Breaking Bad”, both coming off of critically astounding seasons.

I’m glad to see the likes of Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton from “Friday Night Lights” showing up in the Leading categories, but can’t really believe that January Jones belongs in the same Leading Actress category.

She really was great on “Mad Men” this season, but I still can’t get that bitter taste from my mouth because of her equally awful hosting stint on “SNL” earlier this year.

I could keep going on, talking about whether or not Matthew Morrison really was good enough to secure a nod this year, or why NPH shouldn’t be the only supporting player from “How I Met Your Mother” that ever gets any recognition (why no Alyson Hannigan love?) or how badly Kristen Wiig needs to win an Emmy.

Unfortunately there just isn’t enough article space.

The bottom line though, is that in a year where the Oscars were already a little too “right on the money” with their nominations, the Emmy’s are following suit and staying a tad safe for my liking.

I wish that someone would just take a shot off the board for once.

Oh well. It’s not like I’ll watch the show anyway. Jimmy Fallon is hosting.

Emmy facts

• WWII miniseries The Pacific leads the
    pack this year with a total of 24
    nominations.

HBO garnered 101 nominations as a
    network, with ABC in a not so close
    second at 63. Glee managed to gain
    recognition in all four acting
    categories for comedies (Lead Actor,
    Lead

Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting
    Actress), while Mad Men achieved the
    same in the drama categories.

Interestingly, Conan O’Brien’s The
    Tonight Show earned a nod, while The
    Jay Leno Show went unrecognized.