COVID-19 updates and vaccination rates in Waterloo Region and Ontario

As of Tuesday, Sept. 21, 17 new COVID-19 cases were added in Waterloo Region, and the number of active cases declined by 35 to 216. There are currently eight active outbreaks in the region.

Three of the new infections were children aged nine or younger, and another three were among individuals aged 10 to 19.

Ontario health officials logged 463 new COVID-19 cases in the province today, the lowest single-day case total since Aug. 17. Of today’s cases, 332 were in people who were not fully vaccinated, or have an unknown vaccination status and 131 were in fully vaccinated residents.

More than 82 per cent of eligible residents in Waterloo Region are fully vaccinated. In Ontario, over 85 per cent of people aged 12 and up have had at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, and 79 per cent have been fully vaccinated.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is making an announcement later today regarding the province’s vaccine rollout and the COVID-19 vaccination certificate system.

With homecoming weekend approaching, Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang, the medical officer of health in Waterloo Region, has issued a message to students to ensure that they follow public health guidelines amidst events and gatherings. 

“Protect yourself, your friends, and your community by celebrating homecoming weekend at home. If you choose to celebrate in-person, reduce your risk by choosing to celebrate outdoors, in small groups with people you trust, or indoors with only your immediate household members,” She said in an email sent to all students yesterday.

She warned against the Delta variant, the predominant strain of COVID-19 in the community that is highly transmissible and continues to spread.

Although being vaccinated is powerful at reducing COVID-19 risks, she still advised that everyone avoids closed or crowded places, limits close contacts, and wears masks along with physical distancing. 

“In this fourth wave in Ontario, it is critical that we each keep practicing public health measures in addition to being fully vaccinated,” she said.

It is critical that students heed her warnings, especially after the large gatherings that were seen at Laurier earlier this year. 

“I know many of you are doing what you can to help protect one another. Each of you can make a difference… your actions matter and truly impact our community at large.”