Clubs on campus: the importance of getting involved

Getting to know people on campus can be both challenging and intimidating. Thankfully, there are more places to meet people than just in the classroom.

Involving yourself in campus clubs and organizations is a sure-fire way to situate yourself around people with similar interests, but with so many amazing groups to join, it can be a task in itself just to narrow down the choices.

Thankfully, the only thing stopping you from joining every single club on campus is a lack of time.

Before you carve out your place in one of Wilfrid Laurier University’s many great campus clubs, take a gander through the plethora of options available to you.

Here, we’ve compiled a short list of clubs based on interest, but it is by no means exhaustive.

If you are looking for a more comprehensive list, the Students’ Union website features a page dedicated to all of Laurier’s clubs and associations. Facebook is also a great resource, as almost all active clubs use Facebook to communicate their events.

If you want to know more about any of these clubs, or any others that Laurier boasts, the most sure-fire way to gather information is by attending the Get Involved Fair during the orientation week programming.

It’s happening from 10:00-3:00 on Friday September 8 and, according to emails sent to club presidents, the organizers of this year are expecting over 200 clubs to be boothing throughout the day.

That, of course, can seem intimidating in itself. It’s important to remember, however, that many of the executives of these clubs are involved with several other clubs as well.

If you can afford the time to do so, research some of the clubs you’re interested in beforehand so that way they won’t get lost in the sea of possibilities.

That said, if you can spare the time, wander around as much as you can. Some of the best opportunities can come from clubs and associations you just happen to stumble into.

Make sure you aren’t afraid to ask questions. There are a tonne of clubs that all have similar interests, but those can make the difference between having a great time and dreading attending meetings.

Maybe you’re into writing. There’s a creative writing magazine (Blueprint), an academic arts journal (Laurier Undergraduate Journal of the Arts) and, of course, journalism is always an option (and we never stop hiring at The Cord). If you don’t ask, you might end up with the wrong fit.

Just in Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications (WLUSP), on the Waterloo campus, you can get involved with Radio Laurier, Blueprint, Laurier Student Poll, Keystone Yearbook, and us (The Cord).

Reach out to us at any time if you’re interested — we promise we won’t bite.

Take a look at how much time you have too. Maybe rush a fraternity or a sorority or maybe just join Laurier photography club. Ask around to see how involved you have to be and see if that’s the best fit for your lifestyle.

The new year also brings new opportunities to try new things. Don’t be afraid to attend a meeting or two of clubs you’re interested in to try it out.

If you’re not interested, there’s no obligation to continue. If you love it, great! You just made a group of new friends.

Laurier also has a pretty awesome system that allows you to start your own club.

In order to start a club with the Students’ Union, you’ll need an executive team and a list of 20 active members (or people who are interested in joining). It’s also a pretty good idea to make sure a similar club doesn’t already exist.

The president is recommended to have a GPA of at least 5.0, and you should include a club constitution, outlining how the administration of the club works and what it stands for.

You can also start your own faculty club, but there may be some extra requirements. For example, to start a club that falls under the faculty of arts, your membership needs to be 50 per cent plus one arts students. 

And sometimes you’re just overwhelmed at the beginning of the year with everything that’s going on. Almost all clubs are always looking for general members and all you need to do is come out to their events, no sign up necessary.

No matter what you end up doing, make sure you talk to the executive to see how involved you need to be to get the club on your co-curricular record.

The co-curricular record (CCR, as it’s affectionately called) is a list of all of the extra-curricular activities you participated in throughout your university career.

It can be printed off and used in your applications to jobs, further schooling, to post on grandma’s fridge, etc. It’s a pretty useful tool, but each club has different requirements for your involvements to be accepted.

And getting involved can only be beneficial. You could have a straight 12.0 average and not land a job because you have absolutely no experience beyond the classroom.

For a more immediate benefit, beyond the obvious ones of making friends and staying mentally well, a lot of scholarships are also based on extracurricular involvement.

Making friends, gaining experience, volunteerism, whatever you want: there’s a club for that. Don’t be afraid to get involved — your future self will thank you.

Continue reading to see a spotlight on some new and exciting clubs around campus. Remember to check the Students’ Union website for a more comprehensive list!

Vegan and Vegetarian Association (VAGA)

For those with healthy eating or ethical animal treatment on mind, you’ll be happy to learn there is a wonderful network of people around campus who share your passion.

Club Sandwich

Club Sandwich is exactly what it sounds like. Recently, this club won an award for being the best new club on campus – and for good reason.

If the name peaks your interest at all, you won’t be disappointed by what goes on here.

Sushi Lovers Association

I mean, realistically, who couldn’t get on board with this one?

This group is sure to point you in the right direction when it comes to all your sushi recommendation needs.

Laurier Fantasy League

If you’re going to play any fantasy football this season you’ve got about a week until the Patriots kick-off against the Chiefs.

You’ve still got a month or so to wait if you are a hockey fan, but it’s never too earlier to start thinking about your roster.

Sports Analytics Club of Laurier

For people who really dig the statistical aspect of sporting events, this is your club.

Those interested in joining Laurier Fantasy League might find some benefit in checking out this club as well.

Laurier E-Sports

For those unfamiliar with the fascinating and emerging trend of eSports, it’s worth checking out.

Here is your on-campus access point to the world of competitive video-gaming.

Laurier Golf Association (LGA)

Lovers of golf rejoice! Laurier’s presence in the golf community is pretty expansize.

Get together with some peers and gear up for Laurier’s annual Golf Classic!

Laurier Visual Arts Club

Whether you’re a “Renaissance man” or you’ve never picked up a paintbrush, LVAC takes them all.

LVAC also does a new project every week so you can get your hands dirty with all kinds of materials and have art to show for it at the end. 

Golden Hawk Films

Where the WLU Film Society is for people who love watching movies, Golden Hawk Films is for all those who love making them!

They need all filmies from screenwriters to editors, so whatever your production interest, they have a spot for you. 

Laurier Ancient Music Society (LAMS)

If you’re into music and like history, LAMS could be a great fit for you.

Even if you’re not, say, musically talented, they always put on at least one concert a year for your enjoyment.

Laurier Creative Collective

It’s pretty hard to start a zine all by yourself.

It’s also good to know you are in the same vicinity as so many creative people. Don’t be intimidated, collaborate.

Laurier Guitar Club

All the strummers out there on campus who are looking for people to jam with, this is your club.

You never know, your future bandmates could be hiding in plain sight!

StreetWear Laurier

Calling all sneaker-heads and hypebeasts, if you are looking for the next ‘grail piece’ to add to your collection, it will only help if you have a partner in crime.

It never hurts to have a second opinion anyways.

Laurier Backpackers

Nomads rejoice!

If you spend most of your waking hours daydreaming about your next big adventure, you are certainly not alone.

Get (un)familiar with Laurier Backpackers!

Harry Potter Alliance

Love Harry Potter? Love social justice? This is Laurier’s chapter of the worldwide organization that promotes wellness and human rights. Our chapter focuses on mental health.

Make a difference in the community with a bit of hard work and magic to show for it.

Pun Conglomerate of Unique Literary Talents

One of Laurier’s newest clubs, the Pun Conglomerate of Unique Literary Talents, takes pride in the true artform of puns.

They can be cheesy, but they can also make you feel grate.

Fashion & Lifestyle Society (WLUFLS)

Director, model or simply an appreciator of fashion, WLUFLS  has a spot for you.

It’s sure to bring out the best and brightest fashionistas of Laurier.

Laurier Billiards Society

Pool sharks watch out! The Laurier Billiards Society meets up pretty often.

Better yet, there are some pretty sweet places to play pool around Waterloo; this group will show you the ropes.

WLU Euchre Club

For Golden Hawks keen on playing cards, this is a good way to get in on the fun.

Those who prefer Texas hold-em, worry not, there is always the Laurier Poker Club if

you don’t fancy yourself a Euchre player.

Kult of Gaming

If you’ve left your D&D group back in your hometown, this is the place to pick up a new bunch of adventurers.

It’s also a great place to meet people that love gaming — from Nintendo ‘64 to the “cardboard game night.”

Laurier Origami Club

The ancient art of paper-folding gets a modern take in this club.

Maybe folding 1000 paper cranes won’t make you ace your finals, but this sounds like the kind of club to keep you mindful and creative.

WLU Chess Club

There’s a reason that chess is stereotyped as a “smart” game to play.

They may not smash each other to smithereens like in Harry Potter, but we’re fairly certain it’s a better way to make friends (and safer) when they don’t.

Laurier Salsa Club

Salsa (as in the dance, not the food) is a great way to keep active and try a new shoe on for size. No matter how comfortable you are

Your hips aren’t lying: come on and dance with somebody.

Super Smash Club (WLU Smash)

Super Smash Bros has arguably ended more friendships than it has started, but its still pretty much impossible to turn down an opportunity to play.