Celebrating 60 Years of Chinese Photography

In celebration of the 60th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China, Laurier International has organized a viewing of the “China Renowned Photographers Focus on China”, showcasing the nation’s development from 1949 until now.

Rows upon rows of stunning photos lined the Schlegel Building Atrium, documenting China’s history through images of everything from farming to families, mass building projects to athletic events, and natural disasters to drug arrests.

With Laurier’s newly established connections to China – an international office in Chongqing, China – the collection demonstrates the university’s growing commitment to the global community.

Sponsored by China Daily and AKD International, the exhibit provides a selection of 100 black and white photographs – from a larger album of 363 – that portray the drastic changes China has undergone over the past 60 years.

Following the welcoming speeches from Laurier faculty members Peter Donahue, director of Laurier International, and Ginny Dybenko, dean of the School of Business and Economics, as well as special guests Gao Anming of the China Daily, Andy Truong of AKD International and Waterloo’s Mayor Brenda Halloran, the display was officially opened to the students, staff and community members in attendance.

Stand out pictures revealed once the exhibit was introduced included Hei Ming’s photo from 1985 of an elderly man sitting in a doorway, bizarrely surrounded by hanging bowls and Wu Jialin’s picture that managed to capture a horse-drawn wagon, a truck and an airplane in one frame – a memorable image that encapsulates the entire message that the collection was trying to emit about modernization and change.

Truong explained that China was still developing, but expressed his amazement at the rapidity of the changes that have already taken place. Anming stated that the selections represent China’s “kaleidoscope of humanity”, and illustrate the country’s transition from a troubled past into a state of “sovereign independence with a rising economy”.

Students will be able to relate to and recognize some of the documented events and figures like 2003’s SARS outbreak and basketball superstar Yao Ming, making it a must-see, even for those who might not harbor a pre-existing interest in the art of photo taking.

The fascinating photo album is on display in the Schlegel Building from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on March 24.