Beloved Laurier Alum Bill Webb Passes Away

Wilfrid Laurier University mourns the passing of valued member of the Laurier community and alumnus Bill Webb.  

During his time at Laurier, Webb was known for his engagement in all of his classes alongside his passion for rugby. This love for rugby led to Webb being the captain of Laurier’s rugby team for two years. Further, Webb was a founding member of the Rugby Alliance as well as taking an active role in Rugby Canada, the Toronto Inner-City Rugby Foundation and the Al Charron National Training Centre. 

Webb’s contributions to the Laurier community are unmatched over his life, providing support to the Brantford campus, Adopt-A-Hawk Men’s and Women’s Rugby, the Max and Lynn Blouw Graduate Student Scholarship, the Cawsey Leadership Award, the Conversations with Leaders fund, the BBA Alumni Centennial Entrance Scholarship), the Laurier Centre for Economic Research & Policy Analysis, the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics, the Student Horizon Fund and the Golden Hawk General Scholarship Fund alongside his wife Agnes. Further, the couple made a $1 million dollar donation to the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics in 2015.  

Alongside these financial supports, Webb also volunteered his time to Laurier as a member of Building Canada’s Best Business School Campaign Cabinet, the President’s Council of Advisors, the Campaign Case Consultation. Lastly, Webb was a Development Day Keynote Speaker. 

These numerous contributions led to Webb being recognized with the Laurier Philanthropy Award in 2022, Forever Golden Hawk Award in 2019, J. Alex Murray Alumni Award in 2015, the Laurier Alumni Co-op Employer of Excellence Award in 2011 and the 75th Anniversary Award in 1986. Webb was also recognized as one of the 100 Alumni of Achievement in 2011. 

The loss of a member of the Laurier community has a profound impact on students and the university community. There are numerous services and supports available for those who need them: