Arts bites: Oct. 27, 2010

Jay-Z set to release tell-all book about 36 of his songs

Jay-Z can now add author to his list of job titles.

Already one of the most successful hip-hop artists and entrepreneurs in America, Shawn Carter will release his memoir titled Decoded on November 16th.

Last week the Roc-A-Fella Records C.E.O. hosted a party at a Miami pool where he revealed details and the first excerpt of his long anticipated debut book.

Featuring footnotes to 36 of Hova’s songs, the rapper will “decode” personal stories and experiences over 336 pages that will give his fans a better outlook on his life.

Born Shawn Carter, Jay-Z grew up in the Marcy Housing project of Brooklyn where he was once a drug dealer.

The now 40-year-old hip-hop mogul has since sold over 50 million albums worldwide and has an estimated net worth of $150 million.

Allie Hincks & Emily Frost

Taylor Swift pens tune about creepy fling with John Mayer

The always eloquent Taylor Swift is making headlines once again.

Never one to be discreet Swift has written a song for her new album Speak Now entitled “Dear John”.

The lyrics outline her recent tryst with infamous womanizer John Mayer and features lines like “I see it all now that you’re gone/ Don’t you think I was too young?”

Although Swift never explicitly spells out his entire name, she makes it pretty obvious for listeners.

She was asked point blank if the song was indeed about Mayer, but refused to deny or confirm the rumour. In this case, not saying anything seems to say it all.

Allie Hincks & Emily Frost

Quaids seek refugee status, should seek psychiatric help instead

Actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi have decided to apply for refugee status in Canada after fleeing the United States.

The couple, currently situated in Vancouver, left California following arrest warrants for vandalism charges.

They have cited a need to escape from the “murderers of Hollywood,” with Randy Quaid reportedly citing the deaths of David Carradine and Heath Ledger as part of a grand conspiracy.

The Quaids believe that they are next in line to be offed by these so-called Hollywood murderers.

Forget refugee status, someone needs to save these two from their own lunacy.

Sarah Murphy

Charlie Sheen, medicated and disorderly

After reports of Two and a Half Men’s leading man Charlie Sheen ransacking his hotel room in a fit of rage, the actor has left the hospital and returned home.

Staying at the Plaza hotel in New York City last night, with ex-wife Denise Richards and the couple’s two children in a separate room, police responded to a call only to find Sheen in a state of intoxication.

Reportedly, the 45-year-old had been causing a ruckus by tossing furniture.

It later emerged that there was supposedly a naked hooker locked in the bathroom at the time police arrived. Apparently Sheen was looking for his wallet at the time.

Sheen’s attorney claims that the fit was a result of a bad reaction to a prescribed medication.

Sounds like lawyer speak for “horrendously drunk.”

Sarah Murphy

Bieber in 3-D

At the age of 16, it is naturally a necessary time in Justin Bieber’s life for a biopic.

With a trailer that plays like a bad motivational speech, Never Say Never will be coming to theatres in February 2011.

The 3-D film follows Bieber’s journey from small-town Stratford to the big leagues, featuring home videos of a young Justin playing the drums, as well as his now famous pre-teen YouTube videos.

With an overarching message of reaching for the stars, never giving up, etcetera, and multiple appearances from the kid’s mentor Usher, screaming girls will surely be infatuated with the flick.

Even the idea of Biebs in 3-D, however, will probably be too much to handle for anyone over the age of 13.

Sarah Murphy