Alpha Phi to host “Heartthrob” fundraiser

Graphic by Alan Li

Alpha Phi, a women’s fraternity at Wilfrid Laurier University, is hosting their annual fundraiser, “Heartthrob,” this Friday March 10 at Wilf’s from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m.

Heartthrob is one of numerous philanthropic events held annually by Alpha Phi.

Other events include Heart Week’s bake sale, Move Your Phi’t, which is a five kilometer walk and their biggest event of each year, the Red Dress Gala.

The event will begin with a dance-off between Alpha Omega and Alpha Phi, then the Mr. Heart Throb competition will take place, in which a delegate from each fraternity volunteers to participate in the competition which includes various activities.

The activities will include a question and answer period amongst others, followed by the male delegate proposing to any girl present at the event.

As well, attendees will be given the chance to purchase raffle tickets to win various baskets.

All proceeds of the event will go towards the Alpha Phi foundation.

“This is one of the events where we just fundraise for the Alpha Phi foundation,” said Ziv Shemesh, vice-president of marketing for Alpha Phi.

“There’s multiple initiatives that the Alpha Phi foundation supports.”

The foundation provides leadership opportunities, scholarships and grants.

It also supports the “Forget Me Not” fund which helps previous sisters of the fraternity who are past their graduation as well as their main focus, which is to advance women’s cardiac care and research.

“It all gets divided up but the majority of the money will go to advancing cardiac care and research,” Shemesh said.

Last year, the Heartthrob fundraiser saw a turnout of approximately 250 people. Alpha Phi explained that they expect the same, if not more, this year.

“Everyone’s welcome from campus. We love seeing everyone there. It’s always a really good night and we’re really looking forward to it,” Shemesh said.

Alpha Phi was founded at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2002. It currently holds approximately 115 members who all strive to take part in both community service and philanthropic efforts.

For example, the members recently made 50 bags full of feminine hygiene products for the Sexual Assault Centre of Waterloo as a part of their community service efforts.

“We have great relationships with other fraternities on campus. All our girls are really involved with Laurier as well,” Shemesh said.

“We have a lot of girls in the Students’ Union and other clubs, so it’s really about getting involved, helping out your community and fundraising money.”