A successful close to 5 Days for the Homeless

On Friday at 5 p.m., the School of Business and Economics Students’ Society’s (SBESS) campaign “5 Days for the Homeless” came to a close. In total, almost $8,000 was raised.

Emily O’Grady, public relations manager for the campaign, stated that the four participants who slept outside for five days had a very memorable experience.

“Overall, they said that it was an experience that was going to stick with them for the rest of their lives, and that it really changed their view on the homeless population in our area particularly.”

According to O’Grady, a representative from Argus Residence for Young People, one of the charities benefitting from the campaign, came to the closing ceremony to accept a cheque.

Kitchener-Waterloo Reaching Our Outdoor Friends was the other local charity that received donations.

Although they did not quite reach their goal of $10,000, they are still accepting online donations at www.5days.ca/waterloo.

O’Grady praised the hardworking team behind the campaign and their role in its success.

“Everyone worked really hard and I thought that the organizing committee worked really well together. We were all very supportive of each other, and the participants were so enthusiastic and energetic the whole time despite the rough conditions.”