A Parisian wears Chanel

(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)
(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)

I gained a lot of things during my exchange in Paris, but three things stick out: weight — too many macaroons and baguettes; a new language — parlez-vous Anglais? — and most importantly, a new fashion sense.

Living in Paris has taught me a lot about culture, art and history. Fashion here is not just a ‘hobby’, it’s a culture intertwined within the entire city.

In Paris, the most legendary fashion designers like Chanel, Louis Vuitton. Parisians are known for their chic, classy and impeccable style.

Parisians have a ‘laissez-faire’ fashion sense, which makes them look stylish, elegant and effortless.

Who wouldn’t want to look fabulous yet effortless at the same time?

If you’re ever planning on visiting Paris, or feel ‘Parisian’ for one day on campus this semester, here are some tips to creating a fabulous and effortless look.

Black & white

Nothing says ‘Parisian chic’ more than black and white. Whether it’s a crisp white blouse or black skinny jeans, Parisian style is defined by these two simple colours. The great thing is that these colours make great basic pieces in your wardrobe.

Statement jacket

Because Parisians wear black and white, its up to a statement jacket to complete the look. A pea coat, feminine leather jacket or trench coat is all you need.

Sometimes adding colour to a neutral Parisian ensemble will give your everyday outfit an extra pop, while still maintaining a sleek and sophisticated look. Parisian couture is known for their infamous Chanel tweed jacket, which is a wardrobe must have here.

Although Chanel is not in our budgets as university students, there are many replicas from stores like Zara that work just as well.

The Merlot lip

Parisians wear minimal makeup with a statement lip. While lipstick here has its own culture, you barely see a chic French girl without a pop of colour on their lips. It’s like Canada Goose jackets at Laurier: everyone has one.

The amount of Rouge Dior lipstick bottles sold in Paris is probably off the charts, but this season the ‘Merlot’ lip is becoming more popular.

The Merlot colour named after wine, is less red and more burgundy, which is perfect for the cold, winter months. This colour is definitely runway glamour — oh so French.

Parisian fashion is glam, chic and matches their luxurious and elegant lifestyle.

Unfortunately, only the ‘creme de la creme’ can afford Paris haute couture but with these simple tips, at least we can still look the part