A movie playlist

It’s time to drop your worn-out copies of Twilight and forget any memory that you may still have left of Transformers 2 because ladies and gents, it is the first week of school.

That’s right. There will be no more “chillaxin’” around the pool under whatever rays of sun you were able to muster this summer.

It’s time to get your act together and start your first week at Laurier.

“But how do I simply ease my way back in?” you ask. “How can I make it through the stress and horror that is the first week of school?”

Well, fear not faithful companions. I am here to help you through this in the only way I know how: by recommending movies.

Yes people, I have compiled the ultimate film playlist that will help you make your way through your first week back at school and allow you to forget about any stress that you may have been harboring about the upcoming weeks.

Follow these guidelines, and you will be all the way into the second and third week of school completely unaware that summer ever ended.

Day 1: Pure, unadultered entertainment

Watch: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters

So where to begin? Well, as with any good playlist, you need to start with something that makes you feel wonderful.

You need something that kicks you into gear and just develops an undeniable sense of happiness.

If for just a second you find yourself doubting that any of these movies are for you, I want you to stop, look in the mirror, and seriously reconsider, because these are the best of the best.

Day 2: Reminder of your current state of mind

Watch: St Elmo’s Fire, The Secret to My Success, Dazed and Confused, Wet, Hot American Summer

You need to follow your first amazing day at Laurier with something that reminds you of how much you enjoyed your summer and your friends.

You need something that provides a reality check regarding where you are in the state of the world around you. These films should help conjure up that right amount of nostalgia.

Day 3: Heavy

Watch: The Silence of the Lambs, Zodiac, Taxi Driver, Rashomon, The Night of the Hunter

Eventually, all the light hearted stuff you’ve been watching will get to be too misleading, so your next step is to pop in something that is disturbing, powerful and terrifying all at once.

These haunting films will make sure that you remember how human you are, remember that life is in fact hard and you sometimes need to deal with that.

These films will make you appreciate your life a little bit more, all the while providing some first rate filmmaking.

Day 4: Inspirationational

Watch: The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Poet’s Society, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry Men, American Beauty, City of God

You could probably use a little bit of inspiration by this point in the week. Bittersweet storytelling at its absolute best, these films will help get you through your day, all while sticking with you for the rest of your days.

Whenever you’re looking for that motivating, insightful push to get you through life, look no further than these films.

Day 5: Fun, Fun, Fun (‘Til your daddy takes the T-Bird away)

Recommended: Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Bring It On, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Grease, Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors

With plans for what I can only expect will be an epic first weekend at school, you need to fade into the weekend with a film that is utter fun and nothing else.

Whether this is a simple actionflick or glamourous musical, you need something that is going to raise your spirits and keep that high going into your weekend.

Once finished with these films, your body clock should be adjusted and any overwhelming feelings of stress should be blown away in the cool breeze that was your opening week of movie watching.

Even if it didn’t work completely, I do hope that you discovered a film or two that you were able to watch and appreciate.

Have a good first week.