A case for natural deodorant

Deodorant is one of those products that everyone — or almost everyone — uses.

It’s such an automatic part of our routines that it hardly crosses our minds most of the time — that is, until you forget to put it on and realize you stink like body odor halfway through the day.

And while most people reach for their deodorants without a second thought, maybe we should be thinking about what we’re putting into our bodies day after day.

Most commercial deodorants we see in drugstores boast bold scents and promises to keep customers smell-free for up to 48 hours.

Some types of deodorant, or antiperspirant, even promise to keep you from sweating all together — not like that’s a natural bodily process which serves an actual purpose other than to stain our grey t-shirts, right?

It’s very easy as a consumer to reach for these products without giving them a second look, and that’s what most of us wind up doing for most of our lives.

It wasn’t until I actually took the time to read the ingredients on the product I mindlessly reached for everyday, that I realized I might need to start paying more attention to my deodorant.

Most common deodorants contain harmful ingredients, such as parabens, fragrance and aluminum.

These ingredients have been linked to side effects such as skin irritation, allergic reactions and potentially increase risks of cancer and Alzheimers disease.

Since the armpits are such a porous part of the body, it is easy for the products you put on your skin to absorb into your bloodstream.

Simply type one of these terms and “deodorant” into your search engine of choice and see for yourself.   

Apart from all those scary side effects, there are some boring yet inconvenient ones too.

After years of use, your body will become accustomed to using these products and begin to rely on them. So, if you miss a day, guess what? You’re going to smell even worse than you would have before and you will probably sweat a whole lot more that you should.

That’s because your body is now overcompensating to compete with these products which are clogging your sweat glands and messing with your microbiome.

So how do you avoid these things without relegating yourself to a life of smelling like a mens change room? Go natural.

Now I know what you’re all thinking: natural deodorants don’t work.

It’s a common misconception that all natural deodorants perform worse than their commercial counterparts, but that is a load of crap.

There are plenty of natural deodorants which work even better than commercial deodorant, you just have to find them.

Typically, the natural deodorants you see in the drug store aren’t going to be great, but if you look on Amazon or check out your local natural health and beauty store they will have some quality options.

The best natural deodorant I have come across is by the brand Routine.

They come in a variety of scents which can be used for any gender and will keep you smelling fresh throughout your longest days and heaviest workouts. Plus, they come in recyclable packaging so no unnecessary waste!

Another positive side effect I have had since switching to natural deodorant is that when I miss a day, I sweat a lot less and hardly smell at all. I can go multiple days without applying deodorant and (if I’m not doing any intense exercise) you couldn’t tell.

Overall, if you want to smell better, sweat less and not worry about the things you’re putting into your body on a daily basis, natural deodorant is your best bet.