11 new COVID-19 cases reported in Waterloo Region as of October 4

Photo by Darien Funk

As of Monday, Oct. 4, 11 new COVID-19 cases were reported in Waterloo Region. In addition, the number of active cases decreased by four to 176. There are currently six active outbreaks in the region. 

Some of the cases reported so far this month have been located within  public schools.

Ontario logged 511 new cases today and two COVID-19 related deaths with the total death toll standing at 9,754 in the province. 

Almost 82 per cent of people over the age of 12 are fully vaccinated province-wide. 

Last month, Waterloo Region said that it is planning a widespread COVID-19 vaccine roll out for individuals aged 5-11 later in the fall or winter. Protection for this age group is undergoing approval by Health Canada.

If the vaccine is approved for the 5-11 age group, there will be information sessions for families. In addition,children’s doses would be offered at doctors’ offices, pharmacies and regional vaccination clinics in the region.

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE submitted initial trial data for vaccines for this age group and they said they would make a formal request with U.S. regulators for emergency use. 

With Thanksgiving approaching next week, it is important that people remain protected from getting or transmitting COVID-19. 

Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang, Waterloo region’s medical officer of health, said that vaccination is the strongest layer of protection but distancing, maskingand maintaining small gathering sizes is important. It is also vital that individuals stay home if they are sick.

“The more that we add those layers the more that it protects us and our loved ones,” she said. 

Dr. Wang also stated that small gatherings of people who are fully vaccinated are  much safer than larger gatherings with unvaccinated people or individuals whose vaccination status is not known.  This assists in limiting the spread and ensuring that those partaking stay  protected.