Nine new confirmed COVID-19 cases among Laurier students, Public Health says

In a news release published on Oct. 15, Wilfrid Laurier University has confirmed that six additional students living in Waterloo campus’ Clara Conrad residence hall have tested positive for COVID-19. 

These cases are all connected with the outbreak declared by the Region of Waterloo Public Health on Oct. 12. 

Public Health has directed all the residents who have tested positive on the floors to isolate for the next two weeks. A third floor of the residence is now being required to self-isolate. 

Laurier has also been notified of three additional confirmed cases in residence buildings: one in Waterloo College Hall, one in King’s Court and one in 260 Regina. 

These cases are being investigated and handled by public health officials. All individuals affected are either in self-isolation at home or in a separate residence building designated for isolation purposes. 

“Wilfrid Laurier University will continue to provide updates to the community as we receive reports of confirmed COVID-19 cases among employees or students who may have been on a Laurier campus. We will not be reporting suspected cases or cases in employees or students that have not been on campus,” the statement read. 

According to Laurier’s COVID-19 tracker, the total number of cases on the Waterloo campus has reached 24, with 13 of those from students who live on campus. 

Updates to come.