Learning from 50 cent’s mistakes

Graphic by Fani Hsieh
Graphic by Fani Hsieh

50 Cent, one of the most recognizable rappers in the world, has achieved much in his career. However, the icon has recemtly gone on a downward slope.

The rapper has clearly been affected by controversies and bankruptcy, eventually leading him to fail to be the role model he should have been.

Additionally, in May 2016, Andrew Farrell, a 19-year-old airport janitor with autism, was verbally harassed by 50 Cent, who accused him of being high on drugs at the Cincinnati airport.

Not knowing he had autism, the rapper began recording Farrell, mocking him for believing him to be high, asking his name.

He later posted the video on his Instagram for his 12.5 million followers to see.

The young janitor was simply minding his own business, pushing his cart after refusing to respond to 50 Cent, not giving into his cruel remarks.

Shortly after, a courageous young man and former classmate informed the rapper of Farrell’s autism, claiming that he already deals with enough hardship and the rapper’s harassment only added to his pain.

50 Cent apologized for mistaking him to be on drugs and claimed it was a misunderstanding. Farrell was known as a kind, hard-worker who did not do drugs.

Looking back on this, I think there is a great lesson to be learned from this situation.

Regardless of how another person may appear to you, it is unacceptable to humiliate them on social media.

You should stop and think about how to approach people who appear to be different.

This situation presents several issues surrounding consent and ableism, but also just plainly comes down to a grown man, with a large cultural following, acting like a bully.

This heartbreaking case of bullying has spread awareness on how not to treat others, especially people that you do not even know.

In addition, it is incredibly rude to pull out a camera on someone without their permission.

I hope that 50 Cent, who has dealt with the paparazzi, could sympathize.

The amount of difficulty that people with autism go through in life is tremendous. Being able to work at a normal job without being constantly under supervision is something to be encouraged, not ridiculed.

What makes me more upset is that the celebrity did not even give thought to Farrell’s life before putting him on display.

He did not give consent to be filmed or to have that video posted.

Farrell, however, handled himself very professionally, deciding not to retaliate, which showed a huge amount maturity.

It does, indeed, take a lot of control to not act out in anger against a bully.

To me, this is an example of how one should learn from their past mistakes.

I think this is a reminder that we, as human beings, have to think about the repercussions and responsibilities we have in life, especially how to treat others.

What warms my heart is the amount of support that Farrell has received from his city and the citizens of Cincinnati. They did not take kindly to 50 Cent’s behavior and have since boycotted 50 Cent’s drink line, Effen Vodka.

I am glad to see that there are people who care for one another and that in today’s world, a cruel act like this will not go unpunished.

My hope is that the publicity this situation gained will not only teach 50 Cent to think before he acts, but also that 50’s followers will take this as a lesson on how to treat others.