KW in Brief: May 20, 2009

Public square complete

Waterloo Town Square was closed in spring 2008 to construct a new public square. The project, which has cost the city nearly $3 million, is converting the former parking lot into a community-oriented gathering place.

The opening ceremony for the completed project will be held May 30. The event is being held in conjuntion with the City of Waterloo’s 152 anniversary. Planned attractions for the event include performances, displays and demonstrations.

The new square is designed to hold seating, a portable skating rink for winter use and staging area which can be rented out for events.

– Compiled by Linda Givetash

Phil’s to remain open

The popular bar Phil’s Grandsons’ Place has been long subject to rumours of the estabishment closing, which have escalated in recent months with the closing of the Silver Spur on May 4. Phil’s managment has confirmed that the bar has no intention to close as business is continuously successful.

– Linda Givetash

GO transit expands to KW

Friday, May 8 at the Region of Waterloo Headquarters, Member of Parliament Peter Braid announced that GO Transit will be coming to the Waterloo Region.

The $2.5 million project will construct four Park n’ Ride facilities; the first to be constructed at Highway 25 and Highway 401.

Minister of Transport and Infrastructure John Baird spoke of the benefits of the GO transit buses extending to our region.

“These investments in public transit will give people more time with their families while also creating jobs and making a real difference,” said Baird.

In addition to the job opportunities this project will create, Braid spoke of the environmental benefits of the GO buses.

The remaining three GO Bus stops are yet to be announced.

– Devon Butler

To read this story in its entirety and watch Peter Braid’s announcement, visit cordweekly.com