Fire in February displaces 130 residents at the Inn of Waterloo

Photo by Darien Funk

Early in February, an overnight fire broke out at the Inn of Waterloo that displaced 130 men who were using the inn as a temporary shelter through House of Friendship.

The fire was reported to be accidental and cost an estimated $1 million in smoke damage. Many of the residents lost their personal belongings. 

One person was reported to have been treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. The displaced residents were moved to a hotel in Guelph and those who were quarantining were moved to St. Mary’s General Hospital. 

Emmanuel United Church was contacted to help organize a donation drive. Within 24 hours, thousands of items had been donated. 

The HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre, which helps cancer patients prepare to undergo treatment, was also displaced by the fire at the Inn of Waterloo. 

The support centre had used the inn for administration, storage and limited in-person services. They began looking for a new residence after being displaced by the fire. 

Anyone looking to support those affected by the fire have been encouraged to donate directly to House of Friendship or the HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre.

    Leave a Reply