Fire causes building evacuation at St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market

/

Photo by Paige Bush
Photo by Paige Bush

This afternoon, a fire caused a secondary building at St. Jacobs Farmersโ€™ Market to be evacuated.

Dale Martin, deputy fire chief of Woolwich Fire explained what happened when the fire department arrived on scene.

โ€œWe got a call around 1:35 [p.m.], alarm ringing, possible fire on the roof,โ€ he said.

โ€œAs we were getting near, there was a lot of black smoke coming off the roof. We knew we had a fire. The fire was under the roof, between the ceiling and the roof. Thereโ€™s a number of false ceilings in that building. We had to trench cut the roof in order to get water onto the fire.โ€

By 3:30 p.m., the fire seemed to be out and the scene had calmed.

With several customers coming from all over K-W to visit the Thursday market, the main priority of the police and fire departments appeared to be the evacuation and safety of tourists and shoppers.

โ€œNobody was hurt. The police, they helped us out. They did a great job helping evacuate the building. We evacuated the whole area. We got the people out of the smoke. Thereโ€™s a lot of people here, but no injuries,โ€ Martin said.

In 2013, St. Jacobs Farmersโ€™ Market suffered a fire that caused major damage to the primary building. The newly renovated building re-opened last year, in June 2015.