Editor’s note: Time for a break

It’s that time of year again. Students at Wilfrid Laurier University are locking themselves in their rooms to study for exams; finding a spot in the library seems next to impossible and before they know it, they’re packing up their belongings and heading back to their hometowns for the holidays.

Collectively, you should all give yourselves a pat on the back.

This is my first year not being a student, my first year observing student life from the outside. For the past couple weeks, I’ve been watching my student volunteers pump out a newspaper every week while simultaneously writing essays, studying for tests and doing online quizzes. I’ve seen the stressed out look on their faces when they know we have to finish the paper on time, but they also have school work.

I try to help when I can. I talk to them about their essays. I give them study tips. I try to remember how I felt this time last year, when I was in my fourth-year.

But there’s no easy answer. I felt the stress too. I had moments where I didn’t think I would finish on time, where I didn’t think I would pass. But ultimately, I did.

So to my team: you guys are doing great. I’ve never met such a smart group of students that are so capable of excelling at so many things. Thank you for not giving up when school got tough. Thank you for still being devoted to The Cord.

And to all the other Laurier students who balance extracurriculars, part-time jobs or other obligations on top of school: you can do it and you will do it. Just keep pushing yourself but also take that time to recharge. You may dread school right now but trust me, the second it’s done, you’d do anything to go back.