Laurier holds Equity, Diversity, Inclusion roundtable discussion with Canadian academics

Equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) strengthens students, staff and other members to be decisive thinkers and flourish in a promptly developing world. EDI is part of Wilfrid Laurier University’s core values in ensuring a safe and positive environment on and off campus. 

On Thursday, Oct. 15, five knowledgeable panelists  discussed important issues we face today, and how EDI will help with those challenges. “Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and the Challenges Facing Universities: A Roundtable Discussion” took place on Oct. 15 via Zoom. Anyone was welcome to join and share their thoughts. 

The action plan for EDI was introduced by Laurier in order to highlight many things that the university has already done. 

Laurier realizes that teaching, learning and the creation and circulation of new knowledge must take place in an establishment that notices the power and greatness of each and every one of its scholars, staff and faculty. 

Barrington Walker, associate vice-president for equity, diversity and inclusion, believes the action plan is not a static thing, but a living document. 

“Part of the way the action plan will evolve is through the EDI strategic planning process which is currently underway as well. We are in the process of looking for somebody to take the lead on those [Indigenous] issues and do that work that’s already been here for a long time,” Walker said.

Walker is looking forward to the broader conversation about EDI. 

“A broad conversation that we’re gonna have with some specialists that will get us thinking about some of the challenges that universities face and some of the possibilities as well when we try and engage with EDI,” Walker said. 

“This panel is to get us thinking about EDI in terms of the broader context in terms of facilitating the discussion that will get more focused when we launch it to the EDI strategic plan.”

Walker hopes participants will gain from the panel “an opportunity to have some real formidable thinkers together from discussion ideas in the same room… I think that’s a unique opportunity because it’s not often that people can have a sustained conversation about this issue.”

“This is a very complex and important issue that we’re confronting. I hope that they will leave with some greater knowledge and some more questions to further the dialogue that we’re going to have over the course of the year,” he said.