Clown craze continues in K-W region

The “creepy clown” fad has moved north from the United States, as sightings of people dressed up as clowns with the purpose to scare have been reported in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Sightings have been reported in Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo.

The reports have described the multiple “clowns” as either standing motionless, or chasing people.

There have been no reports of clowns holding weapons, only plastic guns and swords, as reported in Cambridge.

No one has been reported injured, but these clown pranks have been successfully frightening those who encounter them.

Kitchener resident, Erica O’Donnell, saw a clown last week near a Mac’s Convenience store in the Doon area in Kitchener.

While the clown did nothing criminal, O’Donnell was still surprised and frightened when she saw them.

“I was just walking, on the phone, and there appeared to be a man in a [clown] mask and all black clothing,” she said. “He was just walking.”

While the person dressed as a clown began walking in the same direction as O’Donnell, the two did not have any sort of confrontation.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” she said. “It’s a serious matter and it’s a thing that people are concerned about. It’s just stupid.”

While the Waterloo Regional Police was not able to issue a statement to The Cord, Sergeant Michael Haffner told both CBC and The Record that these reports have been a nuisance and these pranksters are draining police resources, which could lead to charges if caught.

Haffner also told The Record that there is concern for the safety of those who are dressing up as clowns. A simple prank could go wrong depending on who is being surprised.

“Yes, they’re subject to criminal charges. Yes, they may be causing a nuisance within our region but what we would hate to see is what has been happening throughout the world to people that are dressed up as clowns … some of them are getting beaten up quite a bit,” he told The Record.

The CBC also said that schools in areas where sightings have been reported are sending home notes to parents, assuring them that the school is taking extra caution to keep these “clown pranksters” away from their young kids.

With Halloween less than two weeks away, the hope is that this terrifying fad will die out sooner rather than later.