30 more active COVID cases reported by Waterloo Region Public Health on Tuesday

An additional 30 cases of COVID-19 were reported by Waterloo Region Public Health officials on Tuesday. Currently, there are 347 active cases in the region.

There was one death reported on Tuesday, bringing the total number of deaths in Waterloo Region to 236.

37 people are currently being treated in hospitals, with eight in the ICU.

COVID-19 variants of concern have been reported in 160 local cases, with 11 confirmed to be the B.1.1.7. variant originally found in the U.K.

There are 26 active outbreaks in the region. According to health officials, local COVID-19 numbers are “high but stable.”

Waterloo Region remains in the red-control zone as part of the province’s colour-coded COVID-19 response measures.

This ranking continues to limit people in restaurants and fitness facilities to 10 indoors, social gatherings to five indoors and 25 outdoors and prevents movie theatres, performing arts venues and other related establishments from opening.

Grocery stores are operating at a limit of 75 per cent capacity, with retail stores at 50 per cent.

The region is hoping to scale-up their goal of administering over 50,000 COVID-19 vaccines to residents per week as the supply continues to grow.

The rollout process of vaccines across Ontario and Waterloo Region has experienced delays since December, but the plan is moving forward through the province’s three-phase system.

Currently, Ontario is still in Phase One, which prioritizes residents in long-term care homes, high-risk retirement homes and First Nations elder care facilities.

People experiencing homelessness and police officers who respond to community medical calls are now able to pre-register for the vaccine in Phase One as well.

The next phase of the rollout plan is expected to include nearly nine million people and vaccinations will take place between April and June depending on vaccine availability.

Individuals with high-risk chronic conditions, older adults and those who live and work in high-congregate settings like shelters, first responders, education workers and food industry workers will receive priority in Phase Two.

COVID-19 vaccination clinics for First Nation, Métis and Inuit residents are opening across the region. Anishnabeg Outreach is set to open a clinic at 236 Woodhaven Road in Kitchener on Mar. 19 and 20. The Healing of Seven Generations and KW Urban Wigwam Project will be co-hosting a clinic at 150 Frederick Street in Kitchener on Mar 24 and 25. Six Nations of the Grand River began vaccinating community members last week.

Ontario reported more than 1,100 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday. Based on virus variants, rising numbers and warmer weather, epidemiologists are concerned about the possibility of a potential third wave.