2017-18 budget approved for Students’ Union

The Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union held their transitionary board meeting today, where the budget for the 2017-18 school year was approved.

Among other important items, board members discussed the costs of repairing flood damage to the Fred Nichols Campus Centre, the continuation of restructuring OWEEK events to include students from all years and a policy change regarding the logistics of holding an election in the event of a resignation by a president or president-elect.

They also had an extensive conversation about the recent referendum passing, as the OUSA membership fee was increased for undergraduate students. The current directors asked the incoming team what would be done with the extra funds and the response was that advocacy efforts would see an increase.

“It feels good,” Kanwar Brar, incoming president of the Students’ Union said. “We’ve done a lot of work over the past couple of months, especially over the past couple weeks, in very thoroughly going through the budget.”

“Myself and my team are very confident in the upcoming year and the passing of this budget reflects that.”

Brar also spoke about some of his considerations for the upcoming year, stressing the importance of managing the multiple responsibilities that go along with being president of the Students’ Union.

“In order for me to be an effective president, I need to be an effective CEO, so my first focus within the first 30 to 45 days is going to be employee empowering, making sure I understand everybody in the office,” Brar said. “Once I have that understanding I can start focusing thoroughly on my job as president while maintaining a balance of both [roles].”

“Once I have that understanding, I can start focusing thoroughly on my job as president while maintaining a balance of both [roles].”

Outgoing president Tyler Van Herzele commended the work of this year’s Students’ Union board members. “the organization as a whole has taken some amazing strides forward.” Van Herzele also noted some of the accomplishments made over the past year, adding that they had “much to do with the people here in this room right now.”

“The organization as a whole has taken some amazing strides forward,” he said.

Brar spoke with certainty regarding the upcoming transition. “I can confidently say as of May 1, we know what we’re doing,” he said.

Moving forward, the Students’ Union will be heading to a human resources retreat which will help them effectively transition into the 2017-18 school year.

Outgoing chair and CGO of the board, Nick DeSumma, concluded the meeting by wishing the best of luck to president-elect Brar as well as incoming chair Tarique Plummer.