World in brief: Oct. 6, 2010

BUDAPEST, Hungary

Four people are dead with over 120 injured following the release of a toxic sludge into reservoirs in three counties in the western side of the country. The sludge contains heavy metals from mining waste at a site nearby. Hungary has declared a state of emergency in the regions affected.

LONDON, England

The investigation into the murder of Bandar Abdulaziz, Saudi prince Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud’s servant, has revealed a “sexual element” as allegations unfold that the two were indeed partners. Al Saud denied guilt to murder but rather admits to manslaughter.

BRUSSELS, Belgium

Many of the Eurozone nations have urged China to allow their currency, the yuan, to significantly appreciate in value. US authorities have charged the Chinese government with keeping their currency low so that goods may be sold at lower rates abroad, contributing to China’s export boom.

AYODHYA, India

Controversial court proceedings dealing with the division of a holy site have decided to split the territory between Hindus and Muslims. Both sides have expressed interest in appealing the decision.

CAIRO, Egypt

Ibrahim Eissa, an editor for the independent newspaper al-Dustour has been removed shortly after attempting to print an article by the leader of the main opposition party. The move has been criticized as intentionally limiting the freedom of expression given Egypt’s parliamentary elections next month.

NEW YORK CITY, USA

The assailant accused of plotting the Times Square bombing on May 1 has been sentenced to life in prison. Faisal Shahzad, a US national born in Pakistan plead guilty in June to charges of weapons possession and terrorism. Shahzad was arrested when his car bomb failed to detonate.