World in brief

CALIFORNIA, United States
This past Monday, California’s Supreme Court unanimously ruled in favor of allowing illegal immigrants to obtain the same reduced tuition rate that legal residents received for public colleges and universities. This law is considered a victory in the series of harsh immigration policies currently being debated in the US.

PYONGYANG, North Korea
Due to worsening economic conditions and a dismal food situation, there has been a surge of defections from North Korea recently. One South Korean official stated that over 2,000 defectors have emigrated from the North to the South Korean this year alone.  Due to the numerous fences, land mines and guards along the North-South border, defectors typically escape into China first and then cross into South Korea.

PRISTINA, Kosovo
On Monday, European officials stated that seven people have been charged for international organ-trafficking.  A network of criminals based in Kosovo allegedly lured poor individuals into giving away their organs on the black market in exchange for large sums of money. The donors state that they never received a penny.

CAIRO, Egypt
On Monday, Egyptian officials stated that they have uncovered 12 more sphinx statues along the ancient avenue connecting the Luxor and Karnak temples.  This section of the road was used in religious ceremonies and dates back to the reign of Pharaoh Nectanebo I, from 380-362 B.C.

LONDON, England
Yesterday, it was officially announced that Prince William is engaged to his long-term girlfriend Kate Middleton. The Prince, who is second in line to the throne, proposed while on vacation this past October after asking permission from Middleton’s father. The couple met in 2001 while studying art history at St. Andrews University in Scotland. 

—Compiled by Nikicia Phillips