Unsigned: Should faculty be paid by the demand of their work?

Graphic by Lena Yang

University faculty across different departments often experience discernible wage differences, regardless of whether or not they are equally, or in some cases more qualified, in their respective fields of work.

While the department of business draws a larger amount of students into their program than  music or English, there are several factors that can determine the level of interest that is garnered from each range of study.

The arts have the unfortunate reputation of producing less valuable degrees that are more difficult to apply to real world circumstances.

Business on the other hand, is promoted continuously as the pragmatic, economically successful program that pays off all of the work that’s expelled into it.

Because of this, the professors that teach the more profitable subject matter are seen as more deserving of higher pay.

Business as a whole is competitive when it is matched against arts programs that struggle to meet the same level of need.

The problem that exists rests on how pay can be fairly distributed between faculty members that have markedly different influxes of students.

In order to keep up with the expectations of students and support their evolving learning needs, it is essential for arts programs to keep updating their material and education styles in order to increase enthusiasm and demand.

No matter how many students a professor teaches or what department they’re in, each individual should be paid based on their qualifications and achievements, above all else.

These unsigned editorials are based off informal discussions and then agreed upon by the majority of The Cord’s editorial board, including the Editor-in-Chief and Opinion Editor. The arguments made may reference any facts that have been made available through interviews, documents or other sources. The views presented do not necessarily reflect those of The Cord’s volunteers, staff or WLUSP.