Unsigned Editorial – Coding in classrooms giving children important skill set

In an attempt to give high school students the opportunity to develop technical computer skills, some school boards across Ontario have approved the implementation of a program, TechU.me, which does just that.

It gives students, young or old, what is now considered the necessary exposure to science, technology, engineering and math.

Some might argue that the sequestered nature of learning computer skills would lead to a generation of children with little understanding of the world outside of the computer screen.

However, TechU.me provides all-around education in addition to computer skills. The program gives students the opportunity to learn and grow as individuals and it casts a more positive light on computer sciences, one that strays away from the stereotypical nerdy and lonely computer scientist.

The result, contrary to what sceptics might think, is a generation of children who have, in addition to their basic high school education, an elementary understanding of computer sciences. It creates a generation of children who, having been equipped with the right skillset, are well prepared to face an ever-changing and dynamic world.

Nonetheless, this is not to say that every child must or will become some form of computer scientist in the future; rather, it simply accepts that primary knowledge of the computer sciences is just as vital to childrens’ future as knowledge of languages or social sciences.

Moreover, the implementation of TechU.me in high schools signals the slow, but encouraging evolution of education to meeting societal demands.

The world has become increasingly dependent on technology, and schools must find ways to adapt to this change, lest they become obsolete.