The overcrowded expectations of university parties

Don’t you love it when you go to a party and the music is blasting so loud you feel as if your eardrums are about to burst and you barely have enough personal space to expand your lungs to take a breath?

Well, we sure don’t.

With Halloween behind us, it’s important to reflect on what we’ve experienced.

There is an unnecessary expectation for parties to be as crowded as virtually possible.

Students believe the foundation of a successful event is to have as many people boxed in as a venue can allow up to the point of undeniable discomfort. Why is this the case?

Movies like Project X and American Pie demonstrate adolescent parties that set the standard for ‘epic’ celebration.

These movies depict excessively large parties that maximize entertainment for all who join.

Is this realistic? Or can too many people often lead to too many problems?

Parties are meant to be a social environment. They are for meeting new people or for celebrating with a gathering of friends.

In a blur of swallowing crowds, it’s hard to find much room (literally) for normal socialization — unless you like replacing initial handshakes with breathing down people’s necks.

That’s not creepy at all.

Sometimes good company is all that’s needed — even if it means having a party of only 20 people instead of 400.

Unlike struggling to walk through an overwhelming mob of intoxicated visitors, you can find yourself connecting and having fun with individuals.

If you plan on throwing a house party, remember it is always better to spend a night with people you actually want to be with than a bunch of strangers that may do nothing but cover your floors with puddles of beer or break some furniture.

As is often the case, the more is not always the merrier.