The benefits of taking a reduced course load

An honours undergraduate degree is typically four years in length. Is this always the most reasonable scenario? Some people may find it extremely beneficial to extend their degree.

As students, we contend with more than the five courses we take per semester. 

We’re also focused on building good habits, volunteering and developing networks to attract future employers while expanding our skills, and practicing personal hobbies to stay healthy. Can all of this really be done while getting a high GPA?

Of course, balancing all these aspects of life is part of the challenge we face in our twenties that prepares us for the next stage of life. Expanding your undergraduate degree can be part of that balance.

Taking five courses every semester might mean that you get to finish these four years faster and move onto the next big thing. But why be in a hurry to leave? Why not take the time to develop further by giving yourself time for all the things that help make us well-rounded people?

10 classes a year can be overwhelming, but it’s considered the norm. While it does work for most people, it’s often overlooked how flexible your schooling can be if five courses a semester is too heavy to manage. 

You pay the university for the opportunity to be here. It is a business that works for you. Taking a lighter course load might be a good way to get the most out of your money.

This year, I decided to take only three courses each semester and catch up over the summer since I’m lucky enough to live in Waterloo. 

I’ll admit, personally, three courses was too few to keep me occupied, but I’d consider taking a reduced course load in the future because of the benefits of having extra time.

By taking a lighter load, you may gain more clarity on what you want to apply your skills to when you graduate. There’s more time to volunteer and make your resume stick out, as well as widening the scope of understanding you’ll use to contend with the world after graduating.

This year I’ve had the luxury of exploring novels that relate to my class content and deepening my understanding while still finding time to read my lecture material. 

I’ve had time to study in depth, sometimes just thinking about what I’m learning and if it’s right for me. 

I also had the time to relax and look around at the world, making connections of what I see to what I was learning.

I’ve had time to seek out professors and converse about the course or anything on my mind that they could offer professional advice on. My friendships have benefited in this same way — I’ve had the joy of spending more time with my friends without stressing about how much work I had to do.

Most importantly, taking a lighter load could be a substantial help for someone struggling with a health issue. 

I’ve had time this year to nurture a health condition I have, taking care of my body and well-being without fearing how much time I was losing from studying or feeling guilty for not being clear mentally when taking tests. 

If a regular course load suits you, by all means continue with that route. Getting a degree in four years has its own benefits, like a quicker introduction into the workforce, applying those skills directly to jobs and generally discovering more about the world beyond school.

If you’ve considered taking a lighter course load, know that it doesn’t have to be stigmatized. There are benefits that come with taking a lighter load and longer time for school. 

Being a student is a prestigious and honourable identity to have. You’ll never have an opportunity like it again, so why not make the most of it?

There are pros and cons to a regular and light load of courses. It is wise to consider what options can make your dollars go as far as they can.