Taylor Swift gets political on Instagram

As someone who doesn’t exactly like to talk about their political opinions, politics are all I’ve been hearing about lately, which makes it hard not to form a stance on what you believe in.

There’s no doubt that everyone has been aware of what’s going on in the United States, and as a person who values certain things, it’s quite hard to watch.

Quite recently, Taylor Swift came out and talked about her political views, encouraging young voters of Tennessee to go out and vote.

This sparked Donald Trump to come back and tweet about Taylor Swift, as we’ve seen him do to many others in the past. However, it wasn’t as hurtful as expected,  saying “I like her music about 25 per cent less now …”

Taylor Swift has been one of the most popular musicians since her beginnings in 2004, and with that comes influence.
     Most of her fanbase is made up of youth who look for role models in these powerful singers and performers.

They look to Taylor as someone they can admire and learn from, and because of her post on Instagram, there was an exponential spike in voters.

Most celebrities hold small amounts of power, whether it be influence, criticism, curiosity, you name it, but Taylor has found a way to use her power for unselfish reasons, and attempt to change the world in which we live for the better.

Of course, people can always counter that and argue that it was a publicity stunt, or she was paid by the political party to speak out, but again, if we look at what has been happening in the United States and the issues that have arisen, we can see that this was not about money.

If you have a voice, use it. It’s not just Taylor Swift doing this, other celebrities have been doing this for quite a while now regarding many topics, including #metoo, battles with mental health, drug addiction, etc.

The American Music Awards were this past Tuesday, in which many artists performed and received nominations and awards.

After Taylor’s Instagram post, everyone was very eager to see what would be next for her  at the AMA’s and what, or if, she would comment again on her political stance.

That night, Taylor herself won Artist of the Year and didn’t disappoint the public by telling the audience and viewers at home that it’s extremely important to get out and vote.

As someone who uses social media daily, it is refreshing to see celebrities be interested and aware of local issues, instead of constantly watching them fighting with one another or promoting their own products.

It shows me that we can work together to fix issues in our society, no matter who you are.

This entire situation tells me that we can use power for good; it might not be dramatic at first, but eventually, with enough support and encouragement, we can better ourselves and our countries.

Taylor has further encouraged me to be more aware of my political parties within my community and vote for what I believe in.

I strongly agree with the message Taylor Swift is bringing to the public, and I hope others will too, even if they like her music slightly less because of it.