Climate change and why we should care

In the past week, the weather has been incredibly drastic, cycling from 17 ° Celsius on Feb. 23 to -12 ° Celsius on March 4.

These extreme spikes in temperature over the span of a week are signs of how climate change is affecting our planet.

Scientific research supports the idea of climate change and while it is a natural process, the activities of humans are rapidly changing the earth’s temperature.

This causes all sorts of damaging problems to our ecosystems and the overall health of our planet.

Protecting the environment is more important than ever, especially when there are world leaders like Donald Trump who deny climate change and are in the process of abolishing the Environmental Protection Agency.

Soon, major forests, oceans and environmental landmarks that have existed since the planet was formed will be destroyed at the discretion of an ignorant government.

It is up to the rest of the population to see through these actions and help the environment however they can.

An example of climate change is the melting of the glaciers.

According to the National Wildlife Federation, the Glacier National Park had around 150 glaciers in 1910. As of December 2016, there are only 25.

This is a clear indication of warming temperatures in the north. In turn, sea levels have risen.

This has destructive effects on coastal habits such as erosion, flooding, soil contamination and the loss of animal habitats.

Most people naturally act naïve towards issues that they do not know how to resolve. But, as cliché as it sounds, the littlest things make all the difference.

There are 7.5 billion people living on this planet, and though some use more energy and resources than others, if everyone adapted a more environmentally friendly lifestyle it would change everything.

So how can you go about making a difference? Adapting simple environmentally friendly habits is a great place to start!

A personal favourite habit of mine is to always use cloth shopping bags instead of plastic bags.

Plastic is a terrible material for the environment and if not recycled properly will not decompose for thousands of years, adding to the pollution of the earth’s ecosystems.

Other simple things that you can do around the house to help the environment include turning off the lights when you leave the room and using cooler washing cycles.

This helps to decrease carbon dioxide emissions that will pollute our air.

With all the political unrest and war that exists in the world, it is easy to forget about what is happening to our planet.

However, it is important that we solve our environmental problems in order to create a sustainable planet so that we can move forward and find the solution to other world issues.

Our planet is spectacular and we take it for granted every day. Ultimately, it is our home and we need to make it a priority.

How we hurt the planet also hurts us.