Royals sue British tabloids

Last week, Prince Harry announced that he and Meghan Markle would be taking legal action against The Sun and The Daily Mirror for allegedly spreading lies and “relentless propaganda” about Markle.

The legal action that Harry is taking is the British press hacking phones, Buckingham palace has also confirmed these claims regarding alleged interception of voicemail messages.

This action comes following separate legal action that was filed by the Duchess towards the Mail on Sunday as they unlawfully published a letter which she sent to her father.

At this time, we do not know when the hacking occurred; but there is a six-year limit on claims, which begins as soon as the claimant learns about the offense.

Some people believe that what Harry is doing is a tactic to get the press to understand that they cannot walk over him or the people that he cares about. And to a certain degree, I agree.

Prince Harry was just becoming a teenager when his mother, Princess Diana, passed away. She was torn apart by the press, and there is not a single doubt in my mind that Harry saw how much it hurt his mother and he could not do much about it as he was a boy.

Although currently Diana and Meghan have different circumstances surrounding the press, my guess is that Harry is trying to stop it from getting to the point where Diana was. Although her death has been said to not have actually been because of paparazzi, the fact that it was originally believed to have been, as reporters were following her car, says something.

He now can come out and say what he wants to say and protect who he wants to protect. He does not have to be silent about that issue.

During the couple’s royal tour of South Africa, Harry stated “I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

Ingrid Seward, the editor-in-chief of Majesty magazine and a royal biographer, believes that Harry’s stand was pushed by Meghan because Americans tend to be more “argumentative”. Seward also claimed that “we do it differently, especially members of the royal family who historically have very seldomly sued because it’s just more attention on them. And it drags up dirty washing”

But I personally believe that they should not be leaving it alone. I get the idea of not reading what people say about you and things of that nature when you are a celebrity or a part of a royal family, but it should not be that way.

Private messages being published, and phones being hacked to harm another person (whether directly or indirectly) should not be something that the royal family or anyone just stands by and watches. By letting it slide I can see it happening repeatedly and that is not okay! In no way do I think that this is okay.