Music students underappreciated

Music students underappreciated
RE: LMT shows Laurier how to party, Jan 19

I always know when it’s Wednesday. The new issue of The Cord comes out and someone always has something to gripe about. This week was no exception. While reading the fascinating review of Laurier Musical Theatre’s (LMT) “College: The Musical,” I was struck by the bold quote within from director Greg Evans :
“There’s a ton of talent at Laurier in singing, acting and dancing, and there’s no — at least academic way — to do that.” This caused quite an uproar amongst the music students. I had to re-read the article. Did my eyes deceive me or did my entire degree just get undermined? 

Perhaps Mr. Evans’ words got misconstrued or perhaps I am over-reacting, but I find myself taking this statement to mean that LMT is the only outlet for musicians at this school. May I direct your attention to the world-renowned Music Faculty, employing some of North America’s finest performers, conductors, coaches and composers, and offering one of Canada’s finest Bachelor’s degrees in Honors Music.

I immensely appreciate the outlet provided for musical theatre. It was my first love as a performer and brings joy and entertainment to millions.

If you’re looking for an academic avenue into Laurier’s music program, why not audition for one of our many fine ensembles? It has been my personal observations that music students are bar none the busiest and most academically challenged by their degree. So if you are searching for an artistic and academic challenge, please stop by the John Aird Building! There’s more to our faculty than a giant elevator.

—Samantha Pickett

In this article the director, Greg Evans, states “There’s a ton of talent at Laurier in singing, acting and dancing, and there’s no — at least academic way — to do that.” On the contrary, Laurier has a grand and well known Music Faculty. Within the music faculty there is the voice department. The voice department puts on an opera and opera excerpts every year where there is plenty of singing, acting and dancing. The students involved in the opera and opera excerpts are graded unless they are a volunteer.

What Evans states in the article does not make sense. I’m sure a lot of business students would be puzzled if I said “There is a ton of talent at Laurier in budgeting, arithmetic, and economics but there is no — at least academic way — to do that”. This is complete hokum because Laurier is primarily well known for its Business and Economics Faculty. To recap there is a music faculty at this school and we pride ourselves on our rigorous training. The opera this year is Mozart’s “The Magic Flute.” You should all come and experience the wonderful singing, acting and dancing!

—Travis Smalley