Letters to the Editor: September 26, 2012

Study space available at Laurier library

Dear Editor,

I enjoyed Katelyn Cullum’s Cord story about the need for more study spaces on Laurier’s Waterloo campus (Sept. 19, 2012).

However, the story did not make mention of the Waterloo campus library, and I wanted to take this opportunity to remind students of the library’s extensive study areas, which are open late throughout the 2012 fall term.

There are approximately 800 carrels in the library, most of which are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Its eight bookable group-study rooms are open to all Laurier students, and are available for drop-in use when not otherwise occupied.

The new Graduate Commons includes numerous study spaces, and we also have 14 individual study rooms for PhD students and those registered with Accessible Learning.

Yes, there are times when the library is very busy, which is why we plan to further enhance our student study areas in the years ahead.

The library is changing in many ways to meet the needs of students in the 21st century — by increasing its focus on digital resources, for instance.

The expansion of its role as a space for both quiet and group study is an important feature of this evolution, and we encourage students to take full advantage of it.

–Gohar Ashoughian, University Librarian