Lessons learned from a first-year

Graphiv by Kash Patel

As finals quickly approach, I find myself in a daze of reflection.

One year ago today, I was merely a graduating senior trying to prepare myself for an unprecedented series of events.

No degree of survival guides or pro-tips could have provided me the tool-belt that’s essential in making it out of university unscathed — this resilience is all on you and it’s definitely a process of learning.

I came into my first semester expecting a decent period in which everything and everyone would allow me to get comfortable — I was mistaken.

This transition did allow me, however, to be real with myself — get organized, get busy and get to the library, at a space other than my own.

What stood out to me is the blatant sense of anonymity on campus.

Amidst Laurier’s nearly 18,000 students, you’re a small fish in a big body of rough waters.

This was one of the greatest gifts university has given me and not simply because I favour an introverted lifestyle, but because it integrated me into a life that isn’t going to reward for doing the bare minimum.

My first year taught me the importance of pushing myself to do better every day. Maybe that 6.0 GPA will cut it, but do I really want to be mediocre? No, I want to surprise myself every day and be a part of something bigger than myself.

Namelessness taught me how important it is to, first and foremost, exceed your own personal expectations.
   Academics, extracurriculars and personal fulfilment are all one in the same — if you are not wearing your potential on your sleeve, you can’t expect opportunities to fall into your lap.

While filling out my wall calendar every week, I would the take an archetypal moment to dread my class workload, then proceed to plan my life around my extra curricular commitments.

Rather than feeling burdened, there’s something truly satisfying about feeling like every minute of your time is worth something.

And without the pressure behind taking my next steps, I doubt that I would feel as obligated to use every spare minute I have for my personal betterment.

Beyond providing a fruitful resume, the time and energy being dedicated to meetings and events will serve you by helping you foster a strong work ethic that you can bring into the workforce.

The one piece of advice I will offer to any future or continuing post-secondary student is to get involved.
   Do yourself a favour and take your learning out of the lecture hall — I promise that you’ll learn just as much, if not more and it won’t cost you tuition.

But with all this preaching, it’s still important to recognize the value of taking your foot off the gas occasionally.

You aren’t a car that can conveniently  make a  pit stop at the gas station to replenish your fuel.
   As much as you may drink copious amounts of coffee to compensate, we all need to respect our limits, take time for self-care and not feel guilty about it either for that matter.

And while the pressure might be on for your deadlines in class, there’s no need to feel as if life carries the weight of a deadline as well.
   Although I’m only one year down, I can already feel the experience slipping away from me. Make it count.
   No one expects you to have all the answers.
   Even if they do, don’t allow those expectations to be your  determining factor of success.

Allow yourself to grow from your own cultivation and I promise you, you’ll surprise yourself every day.