Leave your teenage arguments in high school when you go into university

Graphic by Madeline McInnis

I’ve been at Laurier since September 2014 and I’ve noticed something during that time: while we all may be in university now and are now young adults, some people refuse to let go of old, unimportant dramatics from high school.

More specifically, I’ve seen people go out of their way to chirp others for their old drama.

Although there are a lot of people who can’t get over unimportant things that happened to themselves, it’s more disturbing when people go after others for unimportant drama. And it’s amazing how far and long some people will go.

I’ll use one example from my life to show how insane it can get. Back when I was in Grade 11, my father gave me $40 to buy my friends Subway and I didn’t do it.

When my friends found out I had the $40, they were genuinely angry about it and started bothering me about it. Most people can get over something like that in a week or two. The complaining from them, about a $10 sandwich, didn’t stop for 4 years.

It really shows a person’s character when they cannot get over something so small as a crappy $10 sandwich.

If something has been bothering you for over 18 months, write it down in full detail. Being able to “archive” your arguments, feelings, and what happened will really help in letting go of whatever is bothering you.

Sometimes people will chirp for more serious things like old relationships, hookups, or public embarrassments. But again, it shows how bad someone’s character is if they rely on old mistakes from the past to bring you down in the present.

In my experience, I have seen people who have graduated from college/university, get full-time jobs in their fields, and have houses and spouses, who have not let things go from high school.

You can have all the things that a mature adult may have, but you can still be an immature individual on the inside if you cannot let go of something as small as a $10 sandwich.

Not only is the character of the person focussing on their past experiences damaged, now that person who is targeted will have a harder time letting go.

Because if something is brought up all the time, it is seen as important in the mind of the targeted person. If it isn’t and people don’t stop bringing it up, that targeted person will become obsessive. And take it from me, it’s one of the darkest roads of the human psyche to take and is not useful in university or real life.

If there is something from high school that is still bothering you, I have one piece of advice for you.

So as you’re coming into university Golden Hawks, let old dramatics stay in the past. Not letting things go, or hanging around people who will not get over past dramas will bring you down and you will not enjoy the university experience to the fullest. If someone calls you a loser for something that happened years ago, they are the real loser today.

Don’t let old drama bring you down, rise above it like the soaring Golden Hawks that you are.