Food for thought

In university nutrition tends to be put on the back burner.

In first year, it is many students’ first time living away from home and the first time their parents aren’t there to cook most of their meals. If you live in residence there is a meal plan. However, that all changes come second year.

In second year the average Laurier student is moving out of residence and into off-campus student housing. You now have to pay rent, share a kitchen with others and still worry about classes and your booming social life. Living across from a McDonalds (as I do) is not helpful in this case. The glowing “M” looks pretty enticing shining into my living room every night. The dingy stove, on the other hand, does not.

Check out some of these related stories:

Groceries on a student’s budget

Personal training at Laurier’s athletic complex

App picks

This is the year when cooking becomes either a part of your life at university, or not. Many students tend to eat out for all their meals. Or when they do eat in, they live off foods like Kraft Dinner or granola bars. Not only is this unhealthy, it can hinder your energy levels, your concentration, your mood and even your memory.

Many people do not realize how important it is to eat right. The saying “you are what you eat” is true. When you eat right and exercise your confidence levels go up. Not only that, but good nutrition can help you do better academically and enjoy life to a greater degree.

Of course, it is all about finding moderation. You can still eat a cookie now and then and occasionally go out for a social beverage or three, but trying to eat foods like fish, fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs and brown rice on a regular basis, are simple ways to look and feel better.