Editors Note: An artist in a sea of “better” options

Graphic by Kash Patel

As December often causes us to look back on our year, I (for one) find myself contemplating what “could” have been. In a moment where I chose to not use my voice, what might have happened had I chosen to use it?   

Moving into 2024 as a Laurier alum, I’d be lying if I said I have everything figured out. 

In fact, this is the first time in my life where I’m not sure what the end of the year will bring me. This is both exciting, and terrifying.   

If you’re currently in your final year at Laurier, I’m sure you’re also experiencing similar emotions, especially if you’re on the job hunt.  

After four years of endless readings and assignments you’d think it would be easier to land a job.   

This is not the reality, however. Especially for those of us who have chosen to work in a creative field.  

If there is one thing I’ve learned so far on my career journey, it’s that connections are everything (unfortunately, if you’re also an introvert most of the time.) 

Networking is important, and being able to sell yourself well matters. I know, it sucks.  

In a competitive job market where there are hundreds of applicants for a job you want, having a connection to someone else already working in the field you’re in can help ensure that your application actually gets looked at.   

While that may sound like you’re using people to make connections, it is more of a give-and-take. This is especially important in creative industry, where word of mouth is everything.  

Simply discussing my chosen art with people  has lead to work opportunities I could have never imagined.  

It led me here, to The Cord (which is pretty cool).  

Keep your head up, Golden Hawks – all that studying will be worth it.