Canada in brief: Oct. 15, 2009

Vaccine delay ‘nothing political’

MONTREAL (CUP) – Canadians will have to wait a while longer than other countries before the H1N1 vaccine becomes available.

The vaccine became available in the United States on Oct. 5, and will be available in Britain before the end of the month – but it won’t hit doctors’ offices until early November in Canada.

The federal government has come under fire from opposition parties for taking “too long” to purchase the vaccine and make it available to the public.

–Tyson Lowrie, the Concordian

Dalai Lama speaks to Quebec education students

MONTREAL (CUP) – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama held two private audiences with Quebec education students after he learned of the provincial government’s introduction of a controversial ethics and religious culture class to primary and secondary students.

During both addresses, the Dalai Lama emphasized the need for a balance between intellectualized faith and secular ethics. He hoped to articulate the need of shared links between humanity, to be compassionate, and work to make the world a better place.

–Emily Clare, the McGill Daily

Faculty demand funding increase from Ontario

TORONTO (CUP) – Last month, the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) released a report entitled “Postsecondary education in Ontario and the recession,” in which they called for increased financial support from the provincial government for post-secondary institutions.

“We have a long-time concern of the economic underpinnings of post-secondary education in the province,” said Mark Langer, OCUFA president and associate professor of film studies at Carleton.

“A good part of the university experience is not only going to class, but the cultural aspect. Students don’t do that anymore, or they’re doing it to a far less extent than in the past because they’re busy working,” he said.

–Danielle Webb, Ontario Bureau Chief