Canada in brief: Feb. 10, 2010

High salaries at universities
WINNIPEG (CUP) — A recent survey by the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) revealed that in 2006, there were 23 university presidents earning more than $300,000 and five earning over $400,000. In contrast, only one university president broke the $300,000 salary barrier in 2001.
–Talia Joundi, The Manitoban

NDP leader to forge ahead despite cancer diagnosis
TORONTO (CUP) — Jack Layton has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, but he’s not letting it get in the way of his duties as an MP or as leader of Canada’s New Democratic Party.

He said the party has accomplished much since he was elected seven years ago, but that “we also recognize there is a lot more to do to build a more caring and greener Canada. And I can’t wait to roll up my sleeves Monday morning and get back at it.”

Layton was diagnosed in December and is currently undergoing treatment
–Josh O’Kane, CUP National Bureau Chief

Coke choke-out
FREDERICTON (CUP) — At CBTGs, people would rather do blow than blow their cash on booze.

Sandy Chisholm, who owns the bar in St. John’s, N.L., said he’s noticed a significant increase in the use of the drug over the past five or six years — and as a result, his liquor sales have plummeted.

“People have been doing drugs for a long time,” the bar owner said. “But things seem to have escalated. That person drinking until they pass out is a lost member of the downtown scene.”

However, Steve “Stevo” Gillespie, the bar manager at Baba’s Lounge in Charlottetown, P.E.I., said he hasn’t noticed a big problem.
–Sarah Ratchford, CUP Atlantic Bureau Chief

Braid loses power play
OTTAWA — On Feb. 3, following an unofficial meeting regarding the government’s role in Afghan detainees, Liberal foreign affairs critic Bob Rae and NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewer were joined by Kitchener-Waterloo’s Conservative MP Peter Braid on CTV’s News Channel Power Play to discuss the issue.

Rae and Dewer said that the opposition wanted to continue holding cabinet accountable for any conduct surrounding Afghan detainees and held the meeting despite the fact parliament is currently prorogued.

Braid claimed that opposition members are being unpatriotic in pursuing the issue and encouraged support for the Canadian forces. In defence of the government’s role, Braid stated that the Conservatives have and will continue to release any information they can under law.
–Compiled by Linda Givetash