Canada in brief

Graphic by Adele Palmquist
Graphic by Adele Palmquist

Abandoned bear cubs rescued
Three bear cubs were discovered in a snowbank on a roadside ouside of Fredericton. A blanket and basket was also discovered near the cubs, leading     provincial officials to believe that they may have been dropped off there. A couple discovered the cubs, two male and one female, while driving to their Springfield home. They notified the Department of Natural Resources. The cubs are currently being held at a wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centre. They will be held there until they can be released into the wild.

Student hazing incident generates strong backlash
Ryerson University engineering students were found last week to be engaging in hazing rituals. Students who wanted to be orientation leaders for the following year were filmed in their underwear crawling through ice and slush. The incident has been highly condemned by Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Ryerson President Sheldon Levy.

The university has since decided that no action will be taken after discussions were held with the Ryerson Engineering Students Society.

Greyhound bus sex assault results in charges

Note: Taimoor Najam was acquitted of this sexual assault charge in December 2014.

A woman was allegedly assaulted by the passenger beside her on a Greyhound bus while travelling to Ottawa last Sunday. The victim was sleeping, and woke at around 9 p.m. to find the person beside her touching her in a sexual manner.

The suspect, a foreign university student studying engineering, is named Taimoor Najam and was detained by police after the bus arrived in Ottawa. He has been charged with sexual assault. Other people on the bus came to help the woman after she began screaming that she was being assaulted. At the time, the bus was travelling between Carleton Place and Ottawa.