Canada in brief

Graphic by Adele Palmquist
Graphic by Adele Palmquist

Wynne  unveils new cabinet
Kathleen Wynne was officially sworn in as Ontario’s new premier on Monday and subsequently released her 27 member cabinet. This is an increase of five cabinet ministers from the McGuinty government. Among the change in ministers is the instatement of Brad Duguid, the MPP for Scarborough Centre, as minister of training, colleges and universities. He replaces Kitchner-Centre MPP John Milloy, who will remain as  government house leader. Many of the new appointees are considered rookies, with nine never having held positions as cabinet ministers prior to this. Wynne’s first cabinet meeting is set to take place on Feb. 13.

Anti-gay remarks prompt  government response
A humanitarian organization funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) was found to be making anti-gay statements on its website. The organization, called Christian Crossroads Communication Inc., is working to improve water and sanitation access in Uganda. The web page referred to homosexuality and transvestism as perversions.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has since denounced the statements. The organization is receiving $544, 813 over a three year period from CIDA and has been funded since 1999. The government is currently reviewing its funding.