Canada in brief

Graphic by Adele Palmquist
Graphic by Adele Palmquist

Canadian government commits more funds to Mali
On Tuesday, the Canadian government announced its decision to send another $13 million in aid to Mali. The announcement came from the office of International Operation minister Julian Fantino. The funding will not be directed toward military assistance, as with the funds raised thus far by the African Union (AU).

Canadian special forces are already on the ground, which are distinct from the troops sent to support a C-17 transport plane sent on Jan. 18, a mission that has since been extended until mid-February. Unlike the French, the government has asserted that Canadian troops are not engaged in a combat role.

Study shows tablet, Netflix use on rise in Canada
A recent study released by the Media Technology Monitor indicates tablet use and Netflix subscriptions are on the rise. A survey conducted in the fall found that 28 per cent of Anglophones in Canada now own a tablet and 21 per cent were Netflix subscribers. The numbers indicate a vast increase from the previous year’s statistics. The survey, which was based on data taken from a sample of 4,001 anglophones, also found that two-thirds of cellphone users polled now have a smartphone, which is 55 per cent of the population.

Trends were found to be increasing at a slower rate in the francophone population and overall usage rates were also lower.