Are men academic?

When it comes to matters regarding gender inequality, I consistently side with a devout feminist standpoint.

Knowing where I stand on most issues due to this personalized ideology of feminism, I find it odd that I am concerned with the uncertain future of men within post-secondary institutions.
Statistics Canada indicates that women make up to 58 per cent of the student population at Canadian universities. Some universities rank even higher; in 2008, full-time Laurier undergraduates were 60 per cent female.

In late 2009, female president of the University of Alberta Indira Samarasekera spoke out in an interview about the gender imbalance at most university institutions. She was quoted as saying that her major worry is “not [having] the benefit of enough male talent at the heads of companies and elsewhere,” as universities are not attracting as much male interest as in previous years.
Naturally, she received harsh criticism from the press, faculty and students who were unable to tolerate her advocacy for what is a privileged social stratum of people.

A typical white male has not had to endure the same battles as women have experienced; therefore, not much sympathy is given to a group of people who once dominated the university scene.

While the president believes action should be taken to recruit young males to attend university, I believe no such immediate measures should be ensued. It does however, highlight an interesting issue which exists in almost all Canadian universities.

A 2007 study conducted by Statistics Canada examined the current rise in female university enrolment.

It discovered that men and women have different characteristics that contribute to how they approach school.

Men displayed a weaker academic performance, especially on standardized tests, and spend less time on homework than women.

Furthermore, the study concluded that men have lower expectations placed upon them academically by their families then girls do.

The future impact of female dominance is unknown at this time, but its important to question the value of having both genders equally represented at a university.

Despite the fact that women are still unequal in a number of situations, feminism should be about restoring both equality and balance.

Both gender groups should be properly represented; imbalance will severely damage the integrity and innovation of a university institution.