12 Comments

1. This is strictly driven by your sensitivity to the issue and lacks a coherent argument. You say it has “distinctly human DNA, therefore making it a human being”. Do sperm not have human DNA? Does it not have the same right to protection? Furthermore, there is an answer to the question of when life begins, which is becoming more accepting: when one becomes sentient. The ability to experience pleasure and pain seems to be a standard limitation for doctors; most doctors will not perform one after the second trimester (not only because of its ethical uncertainty, but the complications that follow). And you say that the legal status of Abortion is silencing Canadians. The most misunderstood ideology of the pro-choice movement is that it is a choice; you can choose whether or not to have an abortion whereas the pro-life movement tends to lobby the abolition of the practice. When one is an option and the other is a prohibition, who is silencing who then?

2. This is strictly driven by your sensitivity to the issue and lacks a coherent argument. You say it has “distinctly human DNA, therefore making it a human being”. Do sperm not have human DNA? Does it not have the same right to protection? Furthermore, there is an answer to the question of when life begins, which is becoming more accepting: when one becomes sentient. The ability to experience pleasure and pain seems to be a standard limitation for doctors; most doctors will not perform one after the second trimester (not only because of its ethical uncertainty, but the complications that follow). And you say that the legal status of Abortion is silencing Canadians. The most misunderstood ideology of the pro-choice movement is that it is a choice; you can choose whether or not to have an abortion whereas the pro-life movement tends to lobby the abolition of the practice. When one is an option and the other is a prohibition, who is silencing who then?

3. buddy, if life was that important to you, you’d live in a box and never come out of it. you would cry yourself to sleep over every dying cell that gets shaved off your body as you continue living. abortion isn’t about being “pro-life,” it’s about women having the right to choose what happens to their bodies. i don’t agree with abortion as a method of contraception, but if a women is raped and becomes pregnant, would you deny her an abortion from a baby that she did not ask for? believe what you want, but don’t turn around and say that your opinion (because that’s what it is, an opinion) is the right one. that is truly the only thing that truly irritates me about your “article,” the fact that it aims to preach, not inform.
    thanks and have a nice day :)

4. A lot of cringe-worthy responses so far. Hoping that’ll change soon

5. “These grisly scenarios make up less than one per cent of abortions, and if you reply saying you would allow abortion in those cases, the pro-choice side quickly backtracks to saying they still want abortion legal” …..So less than one percent makes them.. insignificant.. unimportant? What exactly are you trying to get across here? You’re also ignoring the fact that those who get abortions may not be vocal on the reasons they’re getting them, so where exactly are you getting these statistics from?
    The only thing ‘cringe-worthy’ is this statement, this article, and the fact that your opinion is basically built on the foundation that opposing thoughts are simply ‘cliches.’ Also, your comparison to women not allowing men to have a say with regards to abortion to Justin Trudeau telling woman these are ‘mens issues’ aren’t parallel to each other at all, it just solidifies the ignorance of this entire article.

6. No uterus, no opinion. End of story.

7. Going to address only one aspect of your argument, because either they’re fairly well thought out or I don’t know enough about that particular topic to comment.
    “Another clichéd argument comes from the idea that if the baby is born into a poor family, it will live a terrible life.” I take issue with that. It is not the fact that the child will be born into a poor family, but rather a family, or lack thereof, that does not want the potential child.
    “[E]ven poor people are glad they’re alive, not wishing they were killed.” Aside from the fact that you regard poor people as a different type of persons, which albeit unsettling is besides the point, there are people who believe death is preferred compared to the existences they currently lead, i.e. persons who are suicidal, terminally-ill, etc.
    “[W]e’re talking about first-world Canada, where there’s a surplus of people wanting to adopt and would be more than happy to have a baby.” Not every baby who is available for adoption is going to be adopted, because not every baby is “desirable.” Those with diseases (congenital or otherwise), deformities, or sometimes simply of a visible minority very often do not have the fortune of a loving family.
    Finally, I’m going to add an aspect that you did not, or chose not to address, that some of the people who will consider having abortions will have them regardless of whether it is legal or not. With the stigma associated with an illegal act and without access to safe, sanitary, and educational facilities, who can often counsel these people away from abortion into adoption or other avenues, they may turn to less-than-reputable resources which can lead to some unpleasant, or possibly fatal complications.
    When weighing these factors against the nebulousness of whether the fetus is considered human, I am inclined to side with the pro-choice-ers. As so many have eloquently put before me, pro-choice is not about mindless murder, but rather giving the woman an opportunity to make an informed decision. These decisions are not arrived at lightly, and I have faith enough in us that whatever decision is made will be a right one.

8. “There’s also a rampantly sexist argument some like to use in order to shut down the pro-life side — that men for some reason don’t have the privilege to have an opinion. ”

Are you kidding me? Men cannot and do not experience sexism. They are privileged by their gender and think they have a right to control women’s bodies.

9. Shame on you for writing this article. Hopefully a university education will help bring some awareness, but that might be too much to ask… Maybe I should be shaming Laurier. It’s incredibly upsetting to me that these kinds of ignorant ideas still roll around in our generation, which is why I didn’t even bother reading your article. All of the responses are fabulous though. :)

10. I bet most of the women here who claim men shouldn’t have a say on abortion because it’s a “woman’s issue” probably support the continued legalization of forced male circumcision at birth. They probably believe women such as themselves should have a say in whether a baby boy is forcibly circumcised at birth.

Such hypocrisy.

11. Brooklyn Ramsey says:

“In most cases, women don’t just suddenly become pregnant. Choices are made leading up to conception that both parents should be responsible for.” One word: RAPE. Shame on you.