While you were out…

Chambers taken sixth overall in CFL draft

Former Golden Hawk wide receiver Shamawd Chambers joined the Edmonton Eskimos on May 3 after being selected sixth overall in the CFL draft. Shortly after being drafted, Chambers also tried out for the Philadelphia Eagles, but after being unable to secure an NFL contract, he signed with the Eskimos before the start of the CFL season. As of press time, Chambers had played in six of Edmonton’s 10 games, making two starts, catching 12 passes for 119 yards and one touchdown.

–Reported by Shelby Blackley and Justin Fauteux

Three Hawks take part in East West Bowl

In mid-may, Laurier’s Alex Anthony, Felix Odum and Isaac Dell got a chance to impress pro scouts at the annual East West Bowl in London, Ont.  Odum had an interception and returned two kickoffs, while Anthony caught three passes for 34 yards.

–Reported by Shelby Blackley

Athletic Complex expansion begins

The $5-million construction project that will see the WLU Athletic Complex nearly double in size got underway in early August, with crews beginning to work on the change room area and some of the building’s exterior. The renovations are expected to be completed in August of 2013, with the Complex remaining open until next summer.

–Reported by Shelby Blackley and Colin Penstone

Tough offseason for women’s basketball

Laurier’s women’s basketball team lost a pair of key contributors over the summer as The Cord reported Shelby Kurt and Felicia Mazzerolle will not be playing in 2012-13. Kurt, last year’s OUA West rookie of the year, left WLU to pursue a college program, while Mazzerolle, a two-year starter at point guard and former OUA rookie of the year herself, will be unable to play due to “academic reasons.”

–Reported by Justin Fauteux

Waterloo hosts LPGA

From June 21-24, the eyes of the women’s golf world were on Waterloo as Grey Silo Golf Club played host to the Manulife Financial Classic, the first major golf tournament hosted by the city. Over 66,000 fans took in the action, watching American Brittany Lang take home the $195,000 first prize after shooting a 16-under and winning a three-hole sudden-death playoff.

–Reported by Justin Fauteux and Shelby Blackley

WLU prof works with Olympians

WLU professor and sports psychology expert Kim Dawson had a special connection to four of Canada’s athletes at the London 2012 Summer Games. For a year-and-a-half prior to the Games, Dawson worked with marathoners Eric Gillis and Reid Coolsaet, steeplechaser Alex Genest and 1500-metre runner Hilary Stellingwerff, providing sports psychology consulting. Gillis placed 22nd in the marathon, with Coolsaet finishing just behind in 27th. Genest was eliminated after the first round in his race, while Stellingwerff advanced to the semifinals in the 1,500-metre.

–Reported by Justin Fauteux