RAC info and new intramural sports for the winter

Graphic by Alan Li

Intramural registration is closed, but that doesn’t mean you can’t play sports for the rest of the year.

The registration for intramurals in the winter opens in January and if you’re in first year, you can participate in Residence Athletic Council [RAC] activities and sports.

“We do registration again in January. Hockey registration doesn’t end until October 5. Anybody who wants to play RAC can speak with their don. This year they have ultimate Frisbee, soccer, European handball and dodgeball playing in the fall,” Jennifer O’Neill, manager of recreation and facilities, said.

“We do have a ton of sports. The best thing to do would be to find a team and register as a team. One person is the captain and they pay all the money up front.”

RAC play begins on September 28 and it will be interesting to see which residences shine.

“Some of our sports that people might have played at a rep level are a little bit more competitive. Then there are other sports that are a bit more recreational such as badminton and table tennis”

“RAC is only for first-years, while every other sport is available to everyone. Every single one of our leagues is tiered. There are some very competitive athletes, but there are also recreational athletes. We also have tiered sports,” O’Neill said.

There are some exciting new sports that have been added to intramurals this year, so there is something for everyone.

“We have added table tennis as a new sport this year in the winter. We also have ‘wallyball’, which was new last year and gained a lot of popularity. O’Neill said.

“We also have two against two soccer in the squash court. Those are all the new sports offered in the winter and anybody who didn’t have time to register in the fall can take part in those next semester.”

It doesn’t matter what level you have played at in the past. With the amount of leagues and divisions in intramurals, you will be able to find what you like, suited to your own skill set.

“Some of our sports that people might have played at a rep level are a little bit more competitive. Then there are other sports that are a bit more recreational such as badminton and table tennis,” O’Neill said.

“We have five different divisions in co-ed volleyball. You could’ve played high school volleyball, rep volleyball, or never picked up a volleyball in your life and still have a place.”

If you missed out on registering for the fall, make sure you set a reminder for January, as intramurals are something that every student should experience.